Redshirt senior Chris Wehan puts his hands up after missing a shot against LMU on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016 at University Stadium. The Lobos lost their match 2-1 against FAU on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016.

Men's Soccer: Lobos miss chances in double-OT loss

A double-overtime battle with Florida Atlantic University resulted in a 2-1 loss for the UNM men’s soccer team on Saturday night.

With the loss, the Lobos’ record dropped to 7-5 overall and 1-3 in Conference USA.

They have also lost five out of six road games this season, while holding an undefeated mark at home.

The FAU Owls improved to 4-6-1 overall, 2-2-0 in conference.

“This loss is incredibly disappointing,” UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said in a release. “We played very well for the majority of the game — that being said, you can’t give up two goals and you’ve got to take your chances. The game was played in their half. We created quality chances, and at some point your attacking players need to finish.”

The FAU attacking third did not need much time to warm up. It only took 30 seconds for junior forward Dylan Huber to take the first shot, but Lobo goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu was right there to make his first save of the night.

The first shot for the Lobos came in the 6th minute when redshirt midfielder Patrick Khouri missed the target with a ball that went wide of the mark.

Three minutes later, FAU goalkeeper Phillip Hitpass made his first save of the night after a shot by junior forward Sam Gleadle.

The Lobos had a slight 6-4 edge in shots during the first 45 minutes. Hitpass ended the half with two saves. While Beaulieu recorded three, he did not make another one for the rest of the game.

FAU got the first goal of the match during the 73rd minute. A foul on New Mexico awarded the Owls a free kick and Danny Del Rio put the ball in the back of the net thanks to an assist by Alvaro Campuzano off the free kick.

Two minutes before regulation time was over, the Lobos notched the equalizer when junior forward Luke Lawrence buried the ball in the top right corner of the net. It marked his second goal of the season.

New Mexico controlled the second half offensively, outshooting FAU 13-3.

The first overtime period went scoreless, with New Mexico recording the only shot of the period. Senior midfielder Josh Goss beat a defender and sent the ball to Gleadle, whose attempt was blocked in the 94th minute.

Later, senior forward Niko Hansen had a chance of his own in the 101st minute, but Hitpass kept his team alive by making another save.

Two minutes later, the match was decided with a goal from FAU junior forward Oliver Powers.

Statistically, the Lobos controlled the action with 21 shots, 11 of them on goal. The Owls recorded a total of eight, five of which were on target. New Mexico also lead 16-2 in corner kicks, but Hitpass’ 10 total saves helped guide his team to victory.

The Lobos will play on the road again on Wednesday when they face Denver in their last non-conference match of the season.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.