Men's Soccer: Lobos look to turn road woes around against Denver

The last non-conference challenge for the New Mexico men’s soccer team is going to be a tough one as it faces a nationally ranked opponent.

The Lobos’ third consecutive road match pits them against the Denver Pioneers, a squad ranked No. 5 in the NSCAA Coaches Poll, and currently undefeated with a 12-0-2 overall record. The Pioneers are on a five-game winning streak, and a four-game shutout streak.

Wednesday’s match is the first time the two teams will meet since Nov. 9, 2012, when the Lobos were still part of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference. New Mexico, then ranked No. 9, shut out the Pioneers 3-0 during the conference tournament.

That fall season was a successful one for the Lobos, as they finished with a 15-2 overall record and 7-1 in MPSF. New Mexico also went on to compete in the Sweet 16 that season.

This year’s team is quite different.

The Lobos lost the first two matches of the season, then went on to ride a five-game winning streak. Since then they have played about even, and are 7-5 overall.

They hold a perfect 6-0 record at home, but on the road the team hasn’t been as hot, losing five of its six games away from Albuquerque.

On Saturday, the Lobos suffered a 2-1 double overtime loss to Florida Atlantic University. UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein described it as “disappointing” because he thought his team had the ability to win that game.

The Lobos fell behind 1-0 during the 73rd minute, but junior forward Luke Lawrence found the equalizer with two minutes remaining on the clock. The Lobos lost the game in the 103rd minute with a goal from FAU’s Oliver Powers.

New Mexico’s attacking third had more control than the Owls during this match, recording 21 shots over FAU’s eight. UNM also held a 16-2 corner kick advantage.

Fishbein seemed happy with the statistics, but not with the results. He said he hopes things will be different against the Pioneers.

"We need to continue to move on and prepare for our next match," Fishbein said on a statement "The loss to FAU was a bad one. We controlled the game, created numerous chances, but didn't finish.”

A win against Denver could give the Lobos the confidence they need to improve their Conference USA record (1-3) when they host Marshall (6-8, 1-3 C-USA) on Saturday.

Statistically, there is only a slight advantage for Denver when comparing the team’s defenses. Denver has allowed opponents to score seven goals on 99 shots, while New Mexico has surrendered nine goals on 111 shots.

On offense, the Pioneers have recorded a total of 24 goals and 188 shots. Forward Blake Elder is the team’s top scorer with six goals, followed by midfielder Alex Underwood who has four.

The Lobos have scored 18 goals of their own on the season, via 171 shots. Forward Niko Hansen has led the way with nine goals and midfielder Chris Wehan follows with three.

His team might not be in an ideal place at the moment, but Fishbein said he still believes his team can have a successful season.

“There is still a lot ahead of us and the next five games will define our season,” he said in the release. “I really like this group.”

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.