Senior forward Niko Hansen looks back towards his teammates after evading two LMU players on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016 at the UNM Soccer Complex. The Lobos will play FAU this Saturday.

Men's Soccer: Lobos look for second C-USA win

The UNM men’s soccer team is back on the road this week in hopes of a more successful weekend.

The Lobos, who have won only one conference match so far in 2016, fell 2-1 to the Charlotte 49ers on Saturday. Charlotte, ranked No. 17 at the time, scored both of its goals against New Mexico from penalty kicks during the first half of the match.

The Lobos’ lone goal came in the 56th minute courtesy of senior defender Niko Hansen after receiving a through ball by midfielder Devin Boyce.

The loss against Charlotte was painful for the Lobos in a few different ways. It marked the third game this season where the team dropped a match due to penalty kicks.

Head coach Jeremy Fishbein said these mistakes were caused by “sloppy” defending, and that he hoped his players learn from it in preparation for future matchups.

Before Saturday, the Lobos had not allowed opponents more than one goal in a single match. The loss also snapped a two-game win streak for New Mexico. The team now holds a 7-4 overall record, 1-2 in conference.

Fishbein described the weekend’s result as “disappointing,” but said he is not going to let it affect his team.

“It’s never easy to get over a loss. Especially when you feel you weren’t at your best,” he said. “But that’s our challenge right now — to learn from mistakes, continue the things we are doing well, and be excited for the next game.”

The Lobos have won all six of their home matches, but now hold a 1-4 away record. They will be looking to improve that mark this weekend when they travel to Florida to face the Florida Atlantic University Owls.

“It’s a good team, quality players who haven’t had big results,” Fishbein said. “But every game is a tight one. It’s a proud team.”

The Owls are currently 3-6-1 overall and 1-2 in conference. They’ve lost all five of their away games so far, but, like the Lobos, have played their best soccer at home, where they are 3-1-1.

Their last match, originally scheduled for Oct. 7 against the Old Dominion Monarchs, was postponed due to Hurricane Matthew lingering on the East Coast.

“It will be a big game for them, a real big game for them,” Fishbein said. “They will be well rested, so it will be an interesting challenge.”

During the last game they played, the Owls took a 1-0 loss to Jacksonville. Before the loss, they were riding a two-game winning streak, having taken down Stetson 3-1, and UAB 1-0.

Statistically, the Lobos hold the better numbers.

FAU’s offense has recorded a total of 86 shots and eight goals this season, led by Jason Fitzgerald and Elijah McDonald, each of them having two goals.

The New Mexico offense, by comparison, has recorded 150 shots and 17 goals. Hansen leads the Lobos with nine goals, followed by midfielder Chris Wehan, who has three.

When it comes to shots allowed, both teams have similar numbers. The Owls’ defense has so far allowed 107 shots, while the Lobos have given up 103.

The difference in the defense is bigger when it comes to actual goals. FAU has been scored on 14 times this season. New Mexico has allowed half that amount of goals, with four of the seven coming via penalty kicks.

Fishbein said he believes his team has what it takes to be successful this season — the Lobos just need to stay focused and learn from their mistakes.

“The next six games will determine where we are postseason-wise,” he said. “We have control of our own destiny. It’s a very good team and our guys are up for the challenge..”

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.