Former forward Niko Hansen is one of two Lobos that made a list of 53 invited collegiate soccer players to attend the 2017 Adidas MLS Player Combine event. 

Soccer: A pair of former Lobos receive invite to MLS combine

Earlier this month, Major League Soccer released its initial list of Adidas MLS Player Combine invitees for the 2017 Adidas event.

The University of New Mexico men’s soccer program received two of the 53 invitations for collegiate players across the nation. One was for forward Niko Hansen and the other for midfielder Chris Wehan.

New Mexico was one of only 15 schools to have multiple players invited, a release said.

Both Hansen and Wehan made their presence felt on the attacking third as they combined to score 21 of UNM's 34 goals this season, including nine game-winning scores. Both earned a spot on the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-Southeast First Team.

The teammates collectively scored a total of 59 goals during their careers at UNM and helped lead New Mexico to the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament in their senior season.

UNM earned an NCAA tournament berth after winning the Conference-USA tournament, dispatching Kentucky, Charlotte and Florida International along the way. Hansen and Wehan scored goals or assisted on goals in all three matches.

But they shined individually as well. Wehan started every game for the Lobos this season scored eight goals to move into fifth place in all-time goals scored for UNM at 31. Hewas also named a 2016 MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List honoree.

Hansen led the Lobos with 13 goals this season andwas recently named to the NSCAA All-America Third Team, as well as a CoSIDA Academic All-American.

The MLS combine will take place in Los Angeles, California from Jan. 8-12. There will be representatives from all 22 MLS clubs.

Each of the 53 collegiate players invited was selected by a committee of MLS coaches and NCAA Division I coaches. The players will be eligible for the 2017 SuperDraft which takes place at the Los Angeles Convention Center and is scheduled for Jan. 13 at 1 p.m.

Other players that will be invited include other collegiate players, non-collegiate players and Generation Adidas signings. They are expected to be announced in the next few weeks.

UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said he was happy for his former Lobo players.

“I am really proud and excited for Niko and Chris," he said in a release. "Their dream for many years has been to play professionally upon completion of their education. They have been tremendous representatives of our program and University."

Fishbein said both players possess the necessary talent to play at the next level and expects to see them on a professional team's roster.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.