What UNM can expect in 2017 from the DOJ investigation

The terms “Title IX” and “Department of Justice” have circulated the University of New Mexico’s classrooms, boardrooms and offices since the DOJ first began to investigate the University for its handling of sexual assault and sexual violence cases.

That investigation has brought changes to policy and procedure.

In October of last year, UNM announced they had reached a “formal three-year agreement” with the DOJ. Part of that agreement also outlined expectations for 2017-2018.

“I definitely understand that people feel UNM is taking a lot of these efforts because of the DOJ. But we have been working on this for a long time — long before the DOJ announced they were investigating us and our efforts were in place long before they released their findings,” said Title IX Coordinator Heather Cowan.

Now, a new semester is underway and some of this year’s changes described in the UNM announcement from October are already in place.

A specific training for all new and incoming students in New Student Orientation is now required.

Rita-Marie Borja, a new student orientation leader for UNM, said she found the Title IX presentations during NSO training were effective and helped prepare the leaders for smaller group discussion.

“Each week, students listened to the ‘Grey Area’ which described crucial topics such as sexual consent, sexual assault and resources on campus and around Albuquerque for victims and assailants. Students that receive this presentation have shared their appreciation after or during our small group discussion,” Borja said.

Borja explained that every student who attends the orientation was required to listen to the presentation, and were then placed into groups to discuss it.

“Small group discussion offered a safe space for students to share their concerns, thoughts and opinions,” she said. “A selective few even had the bravery to share personal experiences to their orientation leaders — I think it is important for our community to understand this material in order to advocate for one another and present themselves as responsible individuals.”

New students will not be the only Lobos that see the changes on campus.

There will also be more surveys the University must conduct called “climate surveys,” which aim to assess students’ opinions, experiences and knowledge on sexual harassment and reporting sexual harassment.

It will also look into whether students are comfortable reporting sexual assault, and if any barriers exist for reporting sexual assault. It will allow personnel to asses whether students are familiar with what the University is doing about sexual harassment.

Climate surveys were also conducted last year in the spring.

The National Campus Climate Survey was a 37-page report and, among its findings, showed that 36.2 percent of students surveyed had experienced a type of non-consensual experience including verbal pressuring, using physical force and taking advantage while drunk or asleep.

The report also surveyed people that had been a victim of repeated sexual harassment before.

Of the people surveyed, 43.2 reported it was the same person responsible for previous harassment.

The Office of Equal Opportunity will also conduct surveys in 2017.

In addition to surveys, faculty are still required to report any Title IX violations to the Title IX coordinator. Most students have heard a disclaimer explaining that policy from professors or have read one in their syllabi this semester.

It is not required for faculty to have this note in their syllabi, according to Cowan, but many teachers have in order to be clear about students’ rights.

The Daily Lobo reported in September that faculty being required to report all violations led to a disconnect between teacher-student trust and the University’s Title IX policy.

“I have not been informed of any reportable incidents of this type, but I have a clear understanding of my responsibilities in that area. I include the notice about Title IX reporting and the Safe Zone designation in my first lecture (this semester) so that students know they can contact me at any time and about anything,” said Eric Jackson, a lecturer in the Psychology Department. “I hope I convey the limits of mandated reporting in a way that students will not be discouraged, but will have realistic expectations.”

Cowan said the changes are part of an ongoing effort and conversation about sexual assault and harassment. She says it is such an important topic right now because it’s a huge problem nationally on college campuses.

“UNM has been particularly in the spotlight because of the DOJ review and report,” Cowan said.

Cowan also said that the Title IX office is always looking for students’ input on how the campus can improve its efforts to communicate the policy better, as well as how to more efficiently enforce it.

All UNM student, faculty and staff that fall into the category of “responsible employees” will also have to undergo a mandatory sexual harassment training this semester as they have previously been required to.

“I think the enhanced training has been very valuable and does a good job of increasing awareness about sexual misconduct, harassment, and violence,” Jackson said.

Shelby Perea is a news reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at skperea@unm.edu or on Twitter @shelby_perea.