Nonprofit helps ex-offenders reintegrate into society

Best Chance, a new nonprofit organization that helps returning citizens from incarceration reintegrate into the community through an innovative peer support model, is looking at the possibility of exceeding its goal of helping 50 individuals this year.

Daniel Rowan, co-founder and a program director of Best Chance said that, upon its formation, the goal for the year was servicing 50 individuals. At this point in 2017, the nonprofit organization has already serviced 30.

“There are so many people rolling into the city we can very quickly become overwhelmed with numbers, so we’re mindful to just take on what we can handle,” Rowan said.

The idea for Best Chance came to Rowan while having a conversation about what was needed for successful re-entry into society from those coming out of prison, he said.

Rowan said he met Stanley Weinstein, a local nonprofit management expert, while Weinstein was performing volunteer work in the prison.

After being released, Rowan and other individuals met with Weinstein and decided to organize the nonprofit, he said.

Rowan said that, first and foremost, what the organization does is provide peer support for men that are coming out of prison, helping them make immediate contact with an individual who has successfully navigated the system and has had a successful recovery.

“I also think our intake process is unique in that it is less about getting information and it’s more about welcoming people home and letting them know there is a community they can belong to,” he said.

One member of the nonprofit organization, Barry Ore, said he works at Best Chance providing peer-to-peer case management and administrative support. He also provides support to individuals who are going through the transition from prison to society by sharing his experiences and resources with them.

“Being released from prison is a traumatic experience that raises all sorts of challenges for the individual, from dealing with stigma and discrimination to restarting with nothing,” Ore said.

Ore knew both Rowan and Weinstein from prison, and they were confident in his recovery and abilities, resulting in their recruiting of him as their first peer support worker, he said.

There are not places that specifically support men coming out of prison, and returning citizens are treated as outcasts, Ore said, even after they have served their time. Typically, very little resources are available.

“We wanted to make sure everyone who is motivated to start their lives over have a chance, this is truly the ‘best chance’ for this population,” he said.

When released from prison, Best Chance welcomes the recently released home, brings them to their office and does an intake on them, describing the organization’s services and evaluating the individual’s needs, Ore said.

This often starts with material support, as Best Chance provides backpacks, clothing, hygiene items, bus passes and other basic necessities.

“We then have a discussion with them and connect with them as peers, disclosing pieces of our story and sharing key concepts of recovery and resources,” Ore said.

An array of services are offered, including assistance in getting their identification documents, resume-building and job readiness skills, vouchers for group fitness and acupuncture, encouragement to attend 12-step and other recovery fellowship, and referrals to other critical human services.

“We just want them to know that there is a place in the community that welcomes them and supports them. It is critical that they feel supported, and can fit into a place where people do not judge them, (but) believe in them and encourage positive activities,” Ore said.

The key component to the supportive network Best Chance offer is the peer support workers, he said.

“As peer support workers, Daniel and I personally welcome the guys back to the community, and let them know that we understand what they are going through and that we support them,” Ore said. “They all have unique needs, and we treat them as the people they are and work with them as individuals.”

The peer support does not stop there, as the weekly “Learning Lunches,” are the main part of the nonprofit’s regular curriculum, providing a safe and supportive space for members to come with fellowship and talk about recovery, he said.

“We gather around a good meal and share our experiences with each other, and share wisdom and hope, these fellowship opportunities give the guys something to believe in,” Ore said, “It has created a family where people had none, it has given a healthy outlet for people who had none.”

Transitioning from prison is hard and makes one feel crazy as it brings great culture shock, anxiety, doubt and frustration, Ore said.

“It is very difficult to manage without support, we hope to reduce stress and increase self-efficacy by providing support,” he said.

Best Chance has already had success stories, Ore said. With men receiving jobs, and in one client’s case receiving help giving awareness speeches in high schools.

Rowan would like to emphasize that there is no typical person that comes out of prison and the individuality from person to person are so unique, he said.

“I think there’s so many stereotypes of what a person that’s been in prison looks like and that stereotype doesn’t exist the people that are coming out of prison are very possibly the people you’re living next door to and so providing the means so people can successfully integrate means a healthier and safer neighborhood for you to live in,” Rowan said.

Nichole Harwood is a news reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Nolidoli1.