Sports communications director receives Rising Star award

A member of the UNM men’s basketball program was recognized this week — but this member happens to be female.

Associate Director of Athletic Communications Chelsey Chamberlain has been named the College Sports Information Directors of America Rising Star award winner for Division I.

“I am extremely honored to be receiving this award,” she said. “There are so many people that have been a part of this journey and I can’t thank them enough for the opportunities they have given me.”

Chamberlain is in charge of men’s basketball, softball and the spirit squad. Last July, she made Lobo history by becoming the first female to oversee the men’s basketball program.

In the 12-year history of the CoSIDA award, Chamberlain just became the fifth woman in DI to receive it, as well as the first female from a school in the Mountain West Conference.

The 26-year-old, one of the youngest in her field, began her career as a sports information director under Blake Timm, a former CoSIDA Board of Directors member, at Pacific University.

Chamberlain said that she is grateful to Timm for the opportunity he gave her as a college student, which made a big impact in her professional career.

“If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be where I am today and I owe so much to him,” she said.

She also thanked her current boss Frank Mercogliano and UNM Athletics.

“For giving me the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than myself,” she finished.

Mercogliano expressed his excitement through Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.

“I couldn’t be prouder of (Chamberlain) and her accomplishments! This is a tremendous honor. Proud to have you as a colleague,” he wrote.

Chamberlain will officially receive her award during the CoSIDA Convention in Orlando, Florida, in June. Mercogliano will also be honored in this convention, as he will be receiving his 25-Year Award.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@cisabelg.