Men's Soccer: Lobos end regular season with loss to Old Dominion

With their fifth loss of the regular season, the University of New Mexico men’s soccer team concluded their regular season with a 1-0 defeat against Old Dominion on Nov. 3.

The Lobos (8-5-4, 3-3-2 C-USA) now head into the Conference USA tournament having scored none but conceded one in their last three games. Two out of those three games were goalless draws against Denver and Charlotte that went into double overtime.

For a defence that has only conceded 16 goals this season and registered five shutouts, the Lobos allowed the Monarchs to get the goal just six minutes into the game. Prior to the game, the UNM defence hadn’t conceded a goal in over 231 minutes.

“It was a really disappointing result,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said in a release. “We opened the game poorly, and just six minutes in, we had the cards against us. At halftime, we felt this was a winnable game. We played better in the second half, created some chances, but not enough.”

C-USA Defensive Player of the Week Jason Beaulieu couldn’t do much, as he watched the ball sail past him, into the back of the net after the Monarchs’ sophomore redshirt Sebastian Hauret fired the ball into the left side of the goal.

The goal was Hauret’s fourth of the season and the Monarch’s 29th of the season. They also registered their sixth shutout of the season, as keeper Mertcan Akar made three saves on the night.

The Monarchs outshot the Lobos 16-10. Max Wilschrey led the Monarchs with five shots on the night, followed by Tom Wustenberg and Sebastian Hauret, who both registered three shots each.

The Lobos were led by redshirt-sophomore Tom Smart and junior defender Aaron Herrera who each registered two shots on target. Junior Simon Spangenberg, senior Sam Gleadle and Herrera all registered a shot on goal.

“It was really disappointing at this point in the season to see that we didn’t have a little bit more about us,” Fishbein said in a release. “It really was a tough way to end the regular season.”

Old Dominion is now 9-5-2 overall and 6-2-0 in C-USA. The Monarchs were ranked second in C-USA before the game and will remain in that place with 18 points. The Lobos on the other hand remain in the fourth position with 11 points.

Lobos will be back in action on Nov. 8 in the quarter final of the 2017 Conference USA Tournament. Their opponent has not been determined.

Ajinkya Patil is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ajinkyapatil_16.