Photo courtesy of Virginia "Ginger" Williams 

Brief: Bake sale benefits cancer patients

The New Mexico Tumor Registry organized and held a Valentine’s Day bake sale Wednesday at the Cancer Research Facility. All proceeds went toward cancer patients and their families.

NMTR Program Manager Virginia “Ginger” Williams, who headed the event, said NMTR holds three fundraisers each year for this cause.

NMTR works with the social workers at the UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center to identify cancer patients who are most in need, she said.

“We contact the families that have been selected to identify the family needs,” Williams said. “Most of the families have children, so we purchase toys and clothing for the children.”

Depending on the family, NMTR may additionally pay utility bills, purchase bundles of wood or more, she said.

“We always purchase a grocery store gift card for each family,” Williams said. “Depending on how much money we are able to raise, as well as the sizes of the families, will decide on the number of families we are able to adopt. On average we adopt three families per year.”

The event began at 8 a.m. — by 10 a.m. the baked goods sold out and all baskets were bid on, Williams said.

“We are a small group, and we don't make a lot of money, but it's worth the efforts so we can give back to the community,” she said.

Nichole Harwood is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She writes for both culture and news. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Nolidoli1.