Softball: Lobos win in dramatic fashion over Fresno State

Behind a strong first six innings from Jensen Main and a walk off double from Monica Salas, the University of New Mexico Softball team was able to secure its first win over the Fresno State Bulldogs since 2014, 4-3.

“Main kind of kept them off balance, she was working hard,” head coach Paula Congleton said. “She gave up some walks which we will work on, she knows that. The big hitters, she stifled them tonight. They’ve got some great hitters, they’re doing quite well in the Mountain West. She did do a very nice job today for us.”

The Lobos struck first in the second inning, as walks from Kasey Halleen and Aleyah Wilbon set the Lobos up with runners on the corners for Cameryn O’Grady, who doubled to drive in both runs. O’Grady advanced to third on a wild pitch, but Sydney Townes was unable to bring her in to score, as Townes struck out to end the inning.

Neither team would score again until the seventh inning, as Danielle East for Fresno State and Main were able to shut down the hitters for both teams. East finished with 13 strikeouts, allowing seven hits and four runs in a losing effort. For the Lobos, Main was able to shut down Fresno State for the first six innings of her outing. In the first six innings, she allowed two hits, no runs and allowed seven walks; in the seventh inning, Fresno State was able to break through.

The Bulldogs opened the seventh with a leadoff double from Miranda Rohleder, who advanced to third on a flyout to right field. Savannah McHellon worked her way to a walk, and was replaced at first with pinch runner Chase Leehong. Hayleigh Galvan wasted no time driving in two runs with a double to tie the game at two. Galvan was replaced by a pinch runner, and Rachel Minogue added the Bulldogs third double of the inning to drive in the run and give Fresno a 2-3 lead.

Minogue’s hit chased Main from the game, as Krissy Fortner came in to try and limit the damage. Fortner induced two straight pop ups to strand the runner at second and give the Lobos a chance going into the bottom of the seventh. Fortner’s ability to shut down Fresno was met with praise from her coach.

“That’s what we use her as, a closer, that’s her role,” Congleton said. “She does a phenomenal job for us. She’s had four great years here and she’s doing a great job for us this year also, we’re really happy with Krissy.”

In the bottom of the seventh, the Lobos opened with a single from Townes, followed by a walk issued to Chelsea Johnson to give the Lobos runners at first and second with no outs. Sam Oliver came in to pinch run for Johnson and give UNM more speed on the bases. Congleton said that she knew if the Lobos were able to push Oliver to second, that she would be able to score on a base hit. With that in mind, D’Andra DeFlora laid down the sac bunt to advance the runners. East was able to strike out Andrea Howard, bringing Salas to the plate as the Lobos last chance. She was able to drive a single up the middle and drive the two runners in and give the Lobos a walkoff 4-3 victory over the Bulldogs.

“My at bats were just progression, I just knew I had to stay within my swing and swing like I knew how to swing and I was going to get the result that I wanted,” Salas said. “It was really a team effort, my teammates did what they needed to do and got on base when they needed to. It just happened to be my at bat that scored the run.”

The two sides square off again on Friday night at 6 p.m. at Lobo Softball Field in the second game of the three game set.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer and softball, but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.