Incoming freshman in class of 2022 are officially sworn in by President Stokes as a UNM lobo in Popejoy Hall, on Aug. 19, 2018. 

UNM holds convocation to greet freshmen

Starting college can be a difficult transition. As an attempt to make students feel more comfortable on campus, the University of New Mexico holds an annual freshman convocation the day before classes begin. With an assortment of speeches and performances, they give the diverse freshman class a taste of the variety of programs and communities that are within UNM.

“I’m excited to connect with people with similar interests as me and focusing on my own interests as well,” said Olivia Harris, an incoming freshman.

This year, there were musical and dance performances, such as flamenco, mariachi, acapella, and a song performed by the marching band. There also were videos, slam poets, greek life presentations, and speeches by a variety of faculty and on-campus associations like the Associated Students of UNM and the UNM Parent Association.

“I loved the acapella and marching band performances, it appealed to me because I used to be in marching band and love music,” said one incoming freshman.

UNM introduces Lobo pride to the new students at the event by providing free UNM shirts, a presentation by the football team and their head coach, Bob Davie, and a song by the marching band with the UNM color guard team accompanying them.

“At UNM, opportunities present themselves in so many different ways. We are Lobos, and we are a part of a pack,” said Becka Myers, president of ASUNM and a senior studying political science.

Along with welcoming the incoming class of 2022, UNM President Garnett Stokes said she recognizes the culture and diversity at UNM, ensuring the new students an education far beyond classes, one that revolves around being a member of the diverse community on campus.

“You are a part of a culture with unique perspectives, embracing our differences and discovering points of view no single person could imagine alone,” she said addressing a crowd of incoming students. “What we teach and what we learn changes the world.”

Hazel Simmons is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @hazsimmons.