Photo courtesy of UNM Fine Arts. Portrait of Kathleen Clawson.

Five and why: Kathleen Clawson's favorite books

Much like her work in the arts, Kathleen Clawson’s taste in books is unique and dynamic.

She is a professor in the University of New Mexico’s Department of Theatre and Dance, where she directs shows, teaches classes in musical theatre and serves as the director of publicity for the department. Most recently, she directed the UNM production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” Along with her work at UNM, she is also part of the staff at the Santa Fe Opera where she provides direction and vocal training.

Here she describes her current favorite books which provide guidance and inspiration for her daily life.

1. “My Paris Kitchen” by David Lebovitz

““My Paris Kitchen” is a collection of both stories and recipes intertwined with each other to create a unique type of book. The book contains wonderful recipes for things one might actually cook rather than ones that seem unrealistic and difficult, along with vivid accounts of Liebowitz‘s life and experiences as an expatriate in Paris. I have wanted to be an expatriate from the time I learned the word. This book serves as research and inspiration, as I imagine an extended stay in Paris that will make this dream a reality.”

2. “The Last Supper: My Summer in Italy” by Rachel Cusk

I am currently enjoying books involving travel and descriptions of different places, and more travel writing is Rachel Cusk’s beautiful account of her experiences in Italy. The Last Supper is another book with true stories about traveling in Europe and is enhanced by Rachel Cusk’s beautiful travel writing. Novelist Cusk’s prose is ravishingly beautiful and it’s like taking a “mini-vacation” every time I pick up her book.”

3. “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Michael Polan

“This is the book that started my current journey towards more thoughtful eating, with the author examining the culture surrounding food in America. Polan makes a strong case for being more thoughtful in our food choices, which inspired me to try this in my own life. I am now working towards a more plant-based diet which includes growing some of my own food due to the inspiration that Polan’s writing has given me.”

4. “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver

“Barbara Kingsolver is a beautiful and inspiring author, and her book documenting a year of eating homegrown food is another inspiration of mine for mindful eating and providing one’s own food through gardening, which I hope will lead to a more healthy lifestyle overall. I also love her novels and this book has the same voice as the fiction that I have read by her.”

5. “Look, I Made a Hat” by Stephen Sondheim

“A gift from one of my dearest friends, it is sub-titled “Collected Lyrics with Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes and Miscellany,” which is a very fitting title for a book on Sondheim. It gives welcome insight into one of my favorite composers and his work and artistic process, as well as showcasing beloved lyrics which I count among some of my favorite songs. Sondheim lyrics are smart and funny, and reading more about his process gives me immense joy.”

Veronica Apodaca is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @veeapodaca.