Photo courtesy of Sony Pictures Releasing.

Movie Review: "Venom" exceeds all expectations

This year has been full of high expectations for superhero movie releases, including “Venom,” which did not disappoint.

Warning, to those who are waiting and have yet to see the film. There are hints to plot points, spoilers to the film and the extras after the credits present in this article. If you do not wish to ruin the movie before you see it, please consider skipping over this article.

The story focused on journalist Eddie Brock, played by Tom Hardy, whose hard hitting news stories dealt with bringing down corrupt people in society. Carlton Drake, played by Riz Ahmed, the founder of the human conservation and life lengthening research project called the Life Foundation, is the next on Brock’s list of people to take down.

After interviewing Drake and asking some controversial questions Brock is then fired from his job, which is assumed to be the work of Drake. The now ex-journalist loses his job and relationship.

Drake continues searching for a solution to humanity's problem.

His space exploration research eventually results in the finding of three alien organisms or symbiotes, that could hold the key to humans’ low life expectancy by combining them with human hosts.

Two of these symbiotes die, one is taken away and a fourth that came to Earth on its own is present throughout the movie. Brock eventually breaks into Carlton’s lab — there he is introduced and merged with one of the symbiotes named Venom.

Throughout the movie we see the relationship between the newly combined Brock and Venom, with traditional hang ups, arguments and distrust between the two as abilities are shown off to the audience.

A sarcastic and comedic personality is given to the seemingly scary alien counterpart, making the two play out entertaining sequences. Name calling and teasing as well as internal jokes that trip up the two make the story more interesting.

Throughout the film, Venom speaks to Brock in his head — some of which are suggestions about situations, insults or sly comments about someone else. It’s an interesting element that makes characters on the outside see Brock as crazy.

The two are faced with internal conflict when starting out. Venom has bad intentions at the start making Brock feel helpless in the situation. After a period of time the symbiote changes its mind, and their decisions are then shaped for the good of the situation.

In addition to the main relationship between the two combined, there is a love interest that plays a big part in the story. Anne Weying, played by Michelle Williams, appears throughout the film as a concerned ex-girlfriend. She helps Brock at one point reunite with Venom and assists in the final battle against Riot, another symbiote that is attached to a human.

There were also clips that ran after the credits, as expected. The first showed Brock traveling to a prison in which he was going to conduct an interview with an inmate. The prisoner is revealed, dawning red hair and a crazy persona that points to this new character being the serial killer Cletus Kasady, played by Woody Harrelson, who will eventually play as Carnage.

Kasady ends this scene by stating, “When I get out of here, there is going to be carnage.”

The last clip showed a sneak peek from the movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” that is coming out on Dec. 14, 2019.

“Venom” was full of action sequences and fight scenes, love, drama and comedy. It is by far one of my new favorite movies and for those who haven’t seen it yet or are unsure about going, you’re in for a treat when you do.

Tiffani Watteyne is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @tiffanirosew.