Football: UNM looks ahead to Air force matchup

The University of New Mexico football team has been on a downward spiral in the last few weeks, having lost four straight games.

On Saturday, however, the Lobos (3-6, 1-4 MW) can change that with a win when they head to Colorado to play the Air Force Falcons.

New Mexico is coming off a loss to San Diego State at home, 31-23. Colton Gerhart got the start for the Lobos and was able to throw for two touchdowns in the game.

But that didn’t mean their offense was good by any means, as the Lobos put up just 142 total yards.

It was New Mexico’s defense that did all the dirty work, recovering three SDSU fumbles -- one of which went for a touchdown to open the scoring in the game. Adebayo Soremekun, a junior defensive lineman, went 44 yards untouched to the end zone after Ryan Agnew, SDSU’s QB, lost control of the ball.

But by the fourth quarter, a shift started to take place. The Aztecs outpaced the Lobos 17-7 in the quarter, securing their win on the road.

Air Force is coming off a loss to Army. And before that, a loss to Boise State. They’ve put up a 3-6 record overall and 1-4 in conference. At home, however, the Falcons have put up a .500 record.

Leading the Falcons at quarterback is Isaiah Sanders, who’s more of a threat from the run than he is in through the air. So far this season, Sanders has rushed for six touchdowns and 466 yards.

The Falcons’ leading rusher, however, is Cole Fagan. He leads the team on the ground with 523 yards and four touchdowns.

The game will be streamed live on CBS Sports Saturday, Nov. 10 at 1:30 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football, however, he also contributes content for other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.