Men's Basketball: Mathis wins first MW Player of the Week honors

In the first week of conference play, Senior guard Anthony Mathis was named Mountain West Player of the Week, the conference announced on Monday. It’s Mathis’ first of his career.

The award was given to Mathis for his stellar efforts this past week, which saw him average 22 points per game over a two-game span. In that same frame, he made eight threes between two games and shot 38.7 percent from the field.

Against the previously No. 6 ranked Wolfpack, Mathis scored a game-high 27 points, which also served as his career high. He went 5-of-14 from beyond the arc. He also brought down six rebounds against Nevada, which tied for his career best.

Before the Nevada game, in the Lobos’ conference opener against the Air Force Falcons, Mathis once again led his team in scoring with 17 points. All of those points, in that game, were scored in the second half.

So far this season, Mathis is averaging 16.4 points per game and has scored 229 points overall. He leads the team in both.

Mathis, entering the second week of conference play, is sixth nationally in 3-pointers made per game at 3.79.

Looking to keep its undefeated streak in conference play, UNM will face off against rival UNLV on Tuesday, Jan. 8 in the team’s third Mountain West game this season.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He helps cover men’s basketball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.