Softball: Lobos welcome UTEP for Tuesday afternoon contest

The University of New Mexico Softball team will return to home turf Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m., as they welcome the UTEP Miners (10-26) to town for a non-conference matchup prior to an off weekend. 

The two teams met earlier this year, with the Lobos claiming a 15-6 victory in the first game of the year. The Miners come into the game on a three game losing streak. 

Offensively, Kacey Duffield leads the Miners with a .352 average. Cortney Smith is the team's best power hitter with ten home runs on the year. In the circle, Kira McKetchnie leads the way with a 6.36 ERA and a 2.22 walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP).   

Meanwhile, the Lobos will look to bounce back from a series loss to Utah State over the weekend. UNM got its lone win of the series in the Saturday matchup, falling in a close contest friday before being blown out on Sunday. 

The Lobos most recent non-conference action came against New Mexico State, as the team was slept in a double header in Las Cruces. 

Stats and a video stream can be found on golobos.com, and tickets available for $5. 

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter  @goeldfinger.