unm logo].jpg

'Met with concern': UNM holds onto accreditation

The University of New Mexico was reaccredited for ten years after the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) reviewed and recertified the University. The HLC announced this decision back in August — however, the reaccreditation doesn’t come with a perfect score. Of the five components the HLC reviewed, two were “met with concern.”

Accreditation validates the quality of an institution as a whole, according to HLC’s website. The reviewers evaluated “multiple aspects of an institution ranging from its academic offerings, governance and administration, mission, finances and resources.”

Two of the criteria gave HLC reviewers cause for concern: The “fiscal mismanagement” of the Athletics Department and the shared governance issue with the Board of Regents (UNM’s governing committee appointed by the New Mexico governor.)

Ultimately, the reviewers elected to monitor UNM in three ways:

• Requiring a report on institutional response to student complaints, publication of student outcomes and development of a comprehensive credit hour policy by March 4, 2020
  • Embedding monitors into UNM in the 2023-2024 school year to determine if UNM has fulfilled its “Integrated Planning” focused on enrollment and finances
  • A focus visit due by Jan. 3, 2022 to examine the implementation of corrective action about the “fiscal mismanagement issues with UNM Athletics and the Board of Regents shared governance issues”

UNM had to fulfill standards set by the HLC that are grouped into five categories: Mission; Ethical and Responsible Conduct; Teaching and Learning — Quality, Resources and Support; Teaching and Learning — Evaluation and Improvement; and Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness.

Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness

While UNM has allocated its resources effectively according to the HLC, the University was unable to produce a report of student enrollment projections beyond the 2019 fiscal year enrollment goals.

This response was regarded as a lack of fiscal planning and long-term views and projections. Because of this, a monitoring report will be required for the 4-year assurance filing, in which data from the past three fiscal years, current projections and projections for the next two years will be required. Evidence that the University is utilizing this data in its decision-making processes must also be submitted.

The Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness category is divided into four components, labeled alphabetically A - D.

• Component A requires UNM to maintain sufficient resources, structures and processes to fulfill its mission statement while improving its education and plan for its future. This component was met.
  • Component B holds that UNM’s administrative structures must promote effective leadership in a collaborative and effective manner that ultimately fulfills its mission statement. This component was met.
  • Component C requires UNM to engage in systematic and integrated planning in regards to appropriate allocation of resources, budgeting, sources of revenue, enrollment, state funds, etc. This component was met with concern.
  • Component D requires UNM to document evidence of its performance and improvement in all operations. This component was met.

Notably, UNM was moved from an Open Pathway to a Standard Pathway process. These processes are two of three 10-year cycle options offered to educational institutions to maintain accreditation with the HLC.

The Open Pathway process prioritizes improvement initiatives through specific projects dictated by the Quality Initiative, which is proposed between the fifth and ninth year of accreditation. The Standard Pathway process follows the same requirements as the Open Pathway (Regular Monitoring and Year 4 and Year 10 Comprehensive Evaluation), but does not partake in a Quality Initiative project.

UNM has been continuously accredited since 1922 and the next round of accreditation will occur in 2028-2029.

This is the first part in a multipart series examining UNM accreditation.

Justin Garcia is the Editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc

Beatrice Nisoli is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @BeatriceNisoli