Nahje Flowers.jpg

University of New Mexico Lobo football player, Nahje Flowers. 

UNM Football Player Nahje Flowers dead at 21

Editor’s note: This is a developing story.

Nahje Flowers, a defensive linemen, and Junior at the University of New Mexico died this week, according to Assistant Athletic Director Frank Mercogliano. The details of Flowers’ passing are unknown at the time that this article was published.

In a statement, Head Coach Bob Davie acknowledged the loss for his players and all who knew Flowers.

“Nahje was a wonderful person and a great teammate. Our entire Lobo Football family mourns his passing, and our prayers go out to his family.” Davie said.

Flowers played defensive line for the Lobos throughout his college career, primarily as a right defensive end. The 21-year-old liberal arts major came to New Mexico after graduating from Dorsey High School in Los Angeles, California. 

He is survived by his parents, La’Vonte Flowers and Vickie Gilmore and his siblings, Albert and Sah’Quira. 

The Daily Lobo will continue to update the student and faculty body as we learn more about the situation.

For any students or faculty who are affected by the loss of Flowers, resources are available on campus. Please contact the Student Health and Counseling Center at (505) 277-3136 for more information or to speak to a counselor.

Alanie Rael is the Sports Editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AllyRael

Justin Garcia is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Just516garc