Women's basketball loses in overtime at Boise State

The University of New Mexico women’s basketball team (6-2) met their match in a tight game on the road against Boise State (5-4) on Dec. 4, losing 83-82 in overtime.

During the Thanksgiving weekend, the Lobos played in a small tournament in Cancun, Mexico. UNM beat Missouri 71-68 but ended up losing to 23rd ranked West Virginia 73-6is 0. Coming out of that loss, the New Mexico women traveled to Idaho to play their Mountain West Conference opponents.

At the start of the game, UNM won the jump ball but Boise State immediately embarked on a 9-0 run in the first minute of the game, forcing the Lobos to call their first timeout. At the eight-minute mark, UNM put up their first two points only to be shut down by the Broncos.

Throughout the quarter, Boise State kept its lead at six or more points and ended the first quarter with a score of 27-21. Jayla Everett made nine points for the Lobos and only missed one shot out of her five attempts. Both teams also had a mere three fouls apiece.

In the second quarter, both teams again began to ricochet points off of each other. The Broncos out-rebounded the Lobos during the first half, contributing to their lead.  Multiple times UNM tried to close the lead, only to have Boise State break away. In the final few seconds of the quarter, UNM got within two points of the Broncos, managing to lessen the lead.

Jaedyn De La Cerda became the highest scorer for the Lobos and the game thus far by scoring 14 points. De La Cerda made five out of her eight shot attempts.

At the start of the second half, New Mexico’s Ahlise Hurst scored a three-pointer that put the Lobos ahead. This put a seven-point run into effect by the Lobos, which ended in a timeout and a three-point jumper from the Broncos.

Both teams exchanged points and the lead until Jordan Hosey made two jumpers for the Lobos which caused their lead to be extended. The Lobos ended the third quarter up 64-59. De La Cerda had a total of 19 points under her belt and Everett marked it up to 13.

The fourth quarter saw the Broncos fight for their dominance right out of the gate, attempting to catch up to New Mexico’s strong third quarter energy. The game was kept close throughout the final period. By the buzzer, the score was tied at 77-77, forcing the game into overtime.

With the extra time, both teams played fiercely — BSU finished on top but won by only one point, 83-82. After the Broncos took the last shot of the game with 11 seconds to spare, the Lobos tried to put up shots to potentially win the game but none fell through.

Despite the close loss, De La Cerda stepped up as a leader for the Lobos, showing her skills as an offensive player. Her 19 points kept New Mexico in the game.

For Boise State, Mallory McGwire put up 21 points and came down with 17 rebounds, giving her the only double-double of the night.

The Lobos' next game is Saturday, Dec. 7 at home against Wyoming at 2 p.m.

Angelina Pompeo is a sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @PompeoAngelina