NMAM 2020.jpg
Photo courtesy of New Mexico Artisan Market

New Mexico Artisan Market brings local artists to Santa Fe in February

At the New Mexico Artisan Market (NMAM) visitors and locals can have a shopping experience that honors New Mexico’s community market place traditions. The next New Mexico Artisan Market in Santa Fe will be taking place from Feb. 15 to Feb. 17 and will be held at the Santa Fe convention center from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. 

The New Mexico Artisan Market was created in 2018 by the New Mexico Multi-Cultural Foundation and Heritage Hotels & Resorts Inc. They did this to expand and strengthen the creative economy of New Mexico as New Mexico is full of local independent artists. 

There will be over 100 artisans that provide a variety of products. This event brings together both artists and lovers of art and looks back at the experience of local markets and trade. 

“When you are face-to-face with the person that has traded their time and talent to create something for you it creates a human connection,” said Chris O’Donnell, Creative Director for the NMAM. “When you use your buying power to support local businesses, you support our state.”  

Jewelers, photographers, chefs, painters, sculptors, seamstresses and much more will sell their products at the market this February. The artists showcased in the market are selected by a jury, which means a group of creative influencers from throughout New Mexico will choose who showcases their products in the market. According to the NMAM website, Over 300 applications were juried in 2018 and 130 artisans were accepted for the New Mexico Artisan Market. 

Ellen Baca, a Santa Fe based photographer who was showcased at the Albuquerque market said that it was an honor to be showcasing her work in both events. 

“I normally do jewelry but there were already so many jewelers showcased at the market. I wanted to be daring and submit some of my photography, something that I have always been passionate about,“ Baca said.

She said that she was nervous when submitting her work to be selected, questioning if she should have submitted her jewelry instead. 

“It is extremely difficult to get into any market, especially the artisan market, so I was extremely selective on what photos I sent in to be evaluated,” Baca said. She ended up being voted number three for best photographer at the Albuquerque market. 

Her parents Maria Goler Baca and Lawrence Baca were also artists showcased at the market. They create a wide range of Northern New Mexico styled jewelry and sell it at Gee Loretta in Albuquerque. They were also surprised to be selected to showcase their jewelry at both Albuquerque and Santa Fe market. 

“We have been creating jewelry for over 20 years and have been to lots of different markets, but this is the biggest we have ever been to.” Maria Baca said.  “It is nerve-wracking, but a worthwhile experience.” 

Both Ellen and her mother Maria said it was amazing to be a part of events where they got to meet other artists like them as well as people who love the arts. 

While there will be a lot of artists at the market who create traditional New Mexican art, there will be some non-traditionalists as well. Beth Spencer is an illustrator who creates art with “humor and whimsy.” Many of her prints, pillows, and t-shirt designs involved cats and sayings such as “cat lad till I die.”

There will be plenty to see and artists for all creative styles. For more information about the upcoming event, visit the New Mexico Artisan Market website at nmartisanmarket.com.

Caitlin Scott is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culturereporter@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Caitlin69123118