Taco class.JPG

Taco's from Mi Taco Su Taco food truck

New Taco Truck calls Red Door Brewery Home

Mi Taco Su Taco is the latest addition to the Albuquerque food truck scene. On Jan. 17, the truck had its grand opening at the Red Door Brewery, showcasing its sweet and simple menu.

“Today is our grand opening and business has been good for the day.” Owner Roman Martinez said. 

Martinez, 35, decided to open his food truck after becoming a first-generation college graduate from New Mexico State University. 

“I’m actually from Albuquerque, but I went to NMSU for the nursing program,” Martinez said. 

After studying for a couple of years, Roman changed his major to culinary arts. There he said he found his passion for food and traveled out of state to get management training in cooking. 

“I used to go to the JW Marriott in Palm Springs, California and that’s where I got my management and kitchen training,” Martinez said.

With returning to New Mexico, he decided that he wanted to start a business and figured a food truck was the best way to start.

“I’m a big guy, so I love food,” Martinez said. “I wanted something that would represent New Mexico and help me with my legacy.”

Customers had a lot of positive reviews for the new truck all throughout the day.

“It’s been pretty good so far,” Albuquerque local Kahlina Baca said. She said that she often comes to the Red Door Brewery and wanted to check out the food truck.

“I hadn’t heard of them before and didn’t even realize they’d be here,” Baca said. “It’s so quick, easy and cheap, and the food is quality food.” 

Mi Taco Su Taco offers a two taco plate and a three taco plate. The portion sizes are perfect for a quick meal with a choice between blue corn and homemade flour tortillas. Every plate is made fresh with an option for salsa and guacamole. 

“You can tell the tortillas are homemade and taste amazing. I’ll be coming back here.” Baca said.

Although business was steady throughout the day, some had opinions on the location. 

“I found a post about their opening on Facebook, but it took me a while to find the truck,” Lisette Taren said. Taren is a graduate student at UNM and looks for new restaurants to try in Albuquerque.

“There weren't any signs or decorations leading to the place. It was hidden. I wouldn’t have found it if I didn’t search.” Taren said. 

The small menu is good for something quick and easy to eat, perfect for students on a budget. Mi Taco Su Taco offers a 10% discount for students in the area and also donates excess food to people in the area.

“Whatever leftover food we have gets donated to the homeless. I don’t want it to go to waste.” Martinez said.

Martinez mentions that the foodservice runs very quickly as they pre-prepared in the morning. What was most raved about during the opening was the homemade tortillas. Martinez said the recipe comes from his partners’ grandmother and learned how to make it for the business.

“It’s all grandma-approved!” he said. 

As Mi Taco Su Taco gets settled in the area, the food truck will be located behind the Red Door Brewery on Candelaria Street. It will be open for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner from 7 p.m.to 10 p.m.

Liz Pritchard is a Freelance Reporter for the Daily Lobo and can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lizpritchard01