Scavengerhunt .jpg

Students participate in a game of cornhole during the Uni Night Scavenger Hunt at the SUB on Friday. 

Students explore SUB resources through scavenger hunt

STUDENT UNION BUILDING — Students explored the SUB and competed for prizes in a scavenger hunt during the third Uni Night event of the semester on Friday, Feb. 28.

The scavenger hunt had six different stations, each in a different location of the SUB. At each station, competitors completed a task in order to get a signature from the attendant running the station as well as a clue for where the next station would be.  When students had collected all six signatures, they won their choice of a hat or a flashlight.

"We wanted to have an activity that was through the entire SUB that let students know the different resources available, specifically in the SUB," Program Manager Anders Flagstad said.

Uni Nights happen about once a month with different themes and activities each time. About 40 people attended the scavenger hunt event. The staff had prepared for anywhere from 50 to 120 students at the event.

"They start in the atrium," Flagstad said. "One of the stations is Lobo Lair where a lot of student organization offices are held. Another one is by the theatre where midweek movies are. Another station is on the third floor, where student groups get free room rentals and AV equipment."

A few of the tasks students completed at the event included making origami cranes, a three-legged race, Easter egg pool and creating their own dance or rap to describe the SUB.  Each station highlighted one of the many SUB resources.

Michael Creekbaum joked with his friends after they completed the scavenger hunt describing the dance he created.

"I was inspired by the Twister's restaurant to do a tornado dance," he said.

Uni Nights are paid for with part of students' tuition each semester. Students who completed the scavenger hunt won either a red and black UNM beanie or a red flashlight. Participants were also provided with free food and drinks.

Students at the event could participate in the scavenger hunt on their own or with a group. Creekbaum attended the event with two of his friends, including Spencer Willden. They found out about the event ten minutes before it began and decided they would compete as a team.

"I enjoyed the competitiveness — we got mad at each other, but we also kicked butt together," Willden said.

After completing the task at each location, teams were given riddles to figure out where the next task would be completed. This added another layer of challenge to the event.

"We were going to be in third place, we overcame people and then we ran around looking for the last one. We ran around the SUB for like ten minutes,” Creekbaum said.

SUB events also hosted a Mardi Gras celebration this February, as well as the late night breakfast towards the end of every semester.

On March 27, Uni Night will once again take over the SUB.

"The next Uni Night will be Disco Night. There will be dancing, we are going to have a photo booth there and free food as well," Flagstad said.

Loreena Cain is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @loreena_cain