Scavengerhunt .jpg

Students participate in a game of cornhole during the Uni Night Scavenger Hunt at the SUB on Friday. 

UNM Uni Nights canceled

The University of New Mexico has canceled Uni Nights for the remainder of the semester due to growing concerns about the novel coronavirus at UNM and around the state.

The last three Uni Nights of the spring 2020 semester — Disco Night planned for March 27, Plant night planned for April 17 and Late-Night Breakfast planned for May 10 — have all been canceled and are being rescheduled.

The Student Union Building released a statement on Facebook on March 13 that said, “The Student Union has postponed the remaining spring programs due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus until further notice.”

“All of the money will be deferred to the fall,” Program Manager Anders Flagstad said. “We will be adding Disco Night and Plant Night programs in Fall 2020.”

With 10 confirmed cases in the state of New Mexico, public gatherings have been restricted around the state and at UNM to try to stop the spread of the virus.

“This decision is from the directive of UNM Leadership, canceling all events of 50 or more,” Flagstad said.

The funds and prizes that were prepared for the Uni Night events will be used during the Uni Night events next school year.

At the Late-Night Breakfast, there is a grand prize give away. Flagstad said, “We will keep the grand prize for next Late-Night Breakfast.”

The University is suggesting other ways to stay healthy and prevent the spread of the coronavirus by washing your hands, disinfecting often touched areas and avoiding touching your face.

This is a developing story. The Daily Lobo will continue to cover the coronavirus' effect on UNM over the coming weeks.

Loreena Cain is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on twitter @loreena_cain