snow1.jpg

Snow gathers on statues situated across from the Student Union Building on a snow day, October 27th. 

UNM cancels classes, remotely

The University of New Mexico will be closed today, Tuesday, Oct. 27, due to inclement weather conditions.

“All classes (including online and remote delivery classes) on UNM's main campus and at the Health Sciences Center have been canceled for today only,” according to the UNM Newsroom website. 

A powerful storm system will continue in Albuquerque through Tuesday night, bringing a predicted four inches of additional snowfall, according to the National Weather Service. In addition, record-breaking cold air will continue with widespread sub-freezing temperatures and bitter cold wind chills. 

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to change every aspect of life as we know it, this morning’s snow brings a myriad of responses from schools around the valley. 

UNM is closed all day. All non-essential employees, unless otherwise specified, will not be expected to report to work for today. 

Central New Mexico Community College has canceled in-person classes but has confirmed that online classes will continue. 

Albuquerque Public Schools has announced that “there will be no school delays or closures during remote learning.” 

“As long as students are learning in the red (remotely), classes will continue on time and as scheduled come rain or shine, sleet or snow”, according to APS.

Lissa Knudsen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lissaknudsen