stansbury confirmation.jpg

Melanie Stansbury (center, in purple) preparing to give a short speech to the House of Representatives following her confirmation. Photo courtesy of @greggiroux on Twitter.

Stansbury sworn into Congress after special election victory

WASHINGTON D.C. — On June 14, Democrat Melanie Stansbury, former representative for the 28th District for the New Mexico House of Representatives, was sworn into the U.S. House of Representatives to represent New Mexicans in the state’s 1st Congressional District. 

In the ceremony, Stansbury was sworn in by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. Stansbury then gave a speech on the house floor, where she was flanked by New Mexico Senators Martin Heinrich and Ben Ray Luján, as well as Washington Senator Maria Cantwell and others.  

"I ran for Congress because I believe deeply in our communities and our ability to bring meaningful change, and that the weight of history and of all future generations is on us to do so," Stansbury said after being sworn in.

Stansbury’s policy goals are centered on the economy with plans of investing in infrastructure and expanding the economy through the creation of new jobs. Stansbury’s campaign is also focused on environmental policy, such as reevaluating federal energy policy to counter climate change.

Other policy goals will focus on raising the federal minimum wage, solving the immigration crisis, making health care more accessible and police reform.

This comes after a special election in the district that occurred on June 1, which Stansbury won by 24% over her Republican opponent Mark Moores. 

The special election was held to fill the vacancy in the House left by University of New Mexico alumna Deb Haaland, after she was confirmed as President Joe Biden’s Secretary of the Interior.

In D.C., Stansbury’s win will help House Democrats keep their single-digit majority in the House, which will now be 220-211, with four other vacancies.  

Stansbury resigned from her seat in the NM House of Representatives on June 14. The Bernalillo County Commission is currently accepting applications for individuals interested in filling the empty seat for the 28th district until June 18; a replacement will be selected on June 22. 

“The lessons and friendships I have gained from my time in the Legislature will stay with me forever, and guide me as I embark on my next chapter serving New Mexico in Washington D.C.,” Stansbury said in her resignation letter. 

Spencer Butler is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @SpencerButler48.