ask eds 22 jpeg.jpg

Ask the editors graphic by Joseph McKee.

Ask the Editors: What we’re bringing with us in the new year

QUESTION: What are you bringing to the new year?

With a new year and new semester often comes new goals, habits and more. However, the Daily Lobo editors are looking back on our past and deciding what we want to keep with us as we move forward. Here’s a glance at some of our favorite things, whether it’s film, television, music, books or sports, for you to peruse.

Megan’s pick: SHOW: “Star Trek” created by Gene Roddenberry

At a time when you often feel like you need an escape, you can find one from the living room of your own home in the “Star Trek” universe. Ranked as one of the most culturally influential shows of all time, “Star Trek” was groundbreaking when it came out in the ’60s and continued to make more shows after its original series with timeless themes that easily enrapture the viewer.

As a newer “Star Trek” fan, I recommend starting with “Next Generation” and making your way through some of the newer shows before watching the classic original series. “Star Trek” has allowed me to find comfort amid a chaotic pandemic and has also taught me countless lessons while showing me new perspectives. Although the show started as a slow-burn type of love for me, I came to a point where I didn’t even realize I’ve never looked back.

John’s pick: MUSIC: “CRAWLER” by IDLES

Now, en face, a post-punk rock album that deals heavily with themes of addiction and loss may not seem like the best thing to get you through hard times, but there’s something truly beautiful throughout all of the blown-out guitars and screaming vocals of “CRAWLER” by IDLES. 

IDLES is a band whose message solely relies on seeing the beauty in life and persevering, and this album is truly the epitome of that message. Like lead singer Joe Talbot belts out on the final track, “In spite of it all, life is beautiful.”

Joseph’s pick: MUSIC: “Reflektor” by Arcade Fire

Over winter break, I found myself reminiscing on music from the past decade and as I did, I stumbled across a long-forgotten favorite album of mine, Arcade Fire’s 2013 “Reflektor.”

Arcade Fire’s sound has always been big, but on “Reflektor,” their sound shifted. It’s developed and upbeat. It’s messy, wild and caffeinated, but cool like a Montreal coffee shop. Layered rhythms, bits of sharp unhinged guitar riffs and hidden sections of horn blend with lead singer Win Butler’s smooth yet raw vocals.

“Reflektor” is an intense artistic album, in one of the best ways possible. It makes me want to throw on my Doc Martens, smoke a cigarette and take some posed pictures for my Tumblr. How this album ever fell off my radar I may never know … But what I do know is the power, angst and talent that is the album “Reflektor.” My favorites off the album are “We Exist,” “Joan of Arc” and “Porno.”

Liam’s pick: MUSIC: “Can’t Cool Me Down” by Car Seat Headrest

I would not consider myself an avid alternative indie fan. That said, I simply cannot overstate how impressive Car Seat Headrest has been in influencing my musical taste. The polished sound of albums like “Teens of Denial” and “Twin Fantasy (Face to Face)” are some of my favorite albums of all time.

In 2020, Car Seat Headrest released their latest album “Making a Door Less Open,” in which the band seemingly managed to recapture the grungy self-produced atmosphere of their earlier work while still maintaining enough melody to tap your foot to. “Can’t Cool Me Down,” an enigmatic song from the album, proves to be the ideal showcase of the band.

Lead singer Will Toledo is a master of stream-of-consciousness lyrics and the song paints a frenzied picture with lines like “Say, there’s a hole in the ceiling / Everything but me and it has got no feeling / Smoke is pouring out the bed / I crawl like an animal to ya.”

So if you’re looking for an unorthodox, slightly-chaotic song to dance to during the semester, “Can’t Cool Me Down” is definitely worth a listen.

Shelby’s pick: MOVIE: “Encanto” directed by Jared Bush and Byron Howard

One of the most endearing films I watched in 2021 was the newest feature from Walt Disney Animation Studios, “Encanto.” I watched this film in theaters at the behest of my younger brother and, from the short film “Far From the Tree” that played before the movie to the vividly colorful credits, I was truly enraptured.

I know that not everyone is a fan of Lin Manuel Miranda, but his talent in writing the lineup of original songs in this film is undeniable. They are fun, memorable and each one contributes to the beautiful love letter to Colombian culture that this film is. 

Watching the Madrigal family tackle themes of generational trauma, the weight put on eldest siblings and being a black sheep of the family provided a surprisingly cathartic experience. I know that I will be rewatching it multiple times this year, and listening to the soundtrack even more.

Zara’s Pick: MUSIC: “... Off the Bone” by The Cramps

Though much can be said of The Cramps’ revolutionary sound and pioneering role as one of the original punk groups and an early mover in the more niche psychobilly genre, I personally like them most for their ability to make me feel like I’m in a cheesy ’80s horror movie, which is why my pick is “... Off the Bone.” 

Lux Interior’s singular vocal stylings combine with ghoulish lyrics and solid rockabilly instrumentals to make for some truly infectious tunes. This horror-inspired album got me through the tail end of a truly nightmarish year, and hopefully it will hold me over until Halloween.

Natalie’s pick: BOOK: “Chocolat” by Joanne Harris

Looking at the cover and adaptation of “Chocolat” by Joanne Harris, it could easily be assumed that the book is a mess of half-witted, shallow romantics; it is anything but. An exploration of a woman’s inability to sit still and find lasting, meaningful contentment in the crooked world around her, the candied metaphors and indulgent fantasies make the complex, somewhat dark subject matters bearable and entertaining. “Chocolat” is a quick read with enough substance to remind me why I need to calm down and try to be moral.

The smooth, bittersweet story is always pleasant to return to and I’m confident it’ll keep me anchored throughout the sure-to-be tumultuous first week of school.

Matt’s pick: SPORTS: UNM women’s basketball

The Lobos women’s basketball program is one of the most dynamic and fun to watch basketball teams in the country. After returning their entire starting lineup from last year, UNM is dominating conference play, currently undefeated at The Pit and potentially on their way to the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament.

It’s not just their stellar record that makes these Lobos such a joy to cover. Mike Bradbury’s squad plays a brand of basketball that is the best of both the past and the future of the sport. They show up near the top nationally in a plethora of offensive statistics and have a genuinely exciting offensive show. You never know who might explode for seven threes or sink a tough game-winning three.

The Lobos lead the Mountain West conference in women’s basketball attendance by a lot, but for such a successful team on the cutting edge of women’s basketball, many more fans should show up.

Mackenzie’s pick: MUSIC: “The Good Life” by Devon Gilfillian

Two years ago, “The Good Life” by Devon Gilfillian came out and rightfully reached No. 5 on the Billboard Adult Alternative Song chart in 2020.

This song is filled with an uplifting beat that will easily calm your nerves and relax, and the enlightening lyrics can quickly brighten your mood. Gilfillian’s style with the song is a soul-soothing tune.

Whenever I’m doing homework or work, this song truly helps me focus, relax and realize that this is the good life.

What we’re bringing with us to 2022 is immensely important as we continue to grow and progress. And while the pandemic continues to storm and the semester gets underway, the editors hope that you — our readers — can find solace in making one of our old things your new thing.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716

John Scott is the managing editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at managingeditor@dailylobo.com  or on Twitter @JScott050901

Joseph McKee is the design director at the Daily Lobo. They can be contacted at designdirector@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @j_mckee_ 

Liam DeBonis is the copy chief at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at copychief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @LiamDebonis

Shelby Kleinhans is the multimedia editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @BirdsNotReal99

Zara Roy is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @zarazzledazzle

Natalie Jude is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @natalaroni

Matthew Salcido is the sports editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @baggyeyedguy

Mackenzie Schwartz is the photo editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @mackenzid5

Have a question? We want to answer it! Questions for the editors can be submitted to the Editor-in-Chief at editorinchief@dailylobo.com. Title any submissions "ASK THE EDITORS"