John Scott

UNM legislative priorities
News

UNM announces goals for 2023 legislative session

With the start of the 2023 New Mexico legislative session on Tuesday, Jan. 17, the University of New Mexico unveiled its priorities for the upcoming 2024 fiscal year. The priorities focus on research and public service project requests and general outlined goals UNM seeks to further and accomplish prior to the session’s closing at noon on Saturday, March 18. The more general legislative priorities, outlined by the University’s Office of Government and Community Relations, include recruiting and retaining current staff, faculty and health professionals; improving student support services as well as “workforce development, research and public service,” improving campus safety, retaining state-funded scholarships, improving health care and health care access, and promoting economic growth, according to the Office of Government and Community Relations.

Avatar.jpg
Culture

OPINION: “Avatar” highlights the danger of computer-generated films

Well, it’s official: we’re gonna see a whole lot more “Avatar” in the next 10 years. With “Avatar: The Way of Water” poised to make its money back, essentially confirming that we’ll see an “Avatar” 3, 4 and 5, we can rest easy knowing know that the original “Avatar” truly did have some sort of cultural impact and naysayers were just wrong. This begs the question, though: what about its impact on filmmaking, or rather, lack thereof? At the time of writing this article on Saturday, Jan. 14, the sequel is poised to reach $566.7 million at the US domestic box office over Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend which will put it at number 13 for the highest grossing films of all time in the US and Canada, according to Deadline.  

Terance Mathis.jpg
Sports

Football: College hall of fame adds UNM footballer

A former offensive player for the University of New Mexico football team, Terance Mathis, was selected for the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023 on Monday, January 9. He will be the second Lobo to be bestowed with the honor alongside linebacker Brian Urlacher, class of 2017, according to a press release from UNM Athletics.

Taylor Suazo feature.jpeg
Culture

UNM grad Tayler Suazo moves from mortar boards to med school

One of the first things you might notice about upcoming University of New Mexico graduate Tayler Suazo is her loyalty to place and to family. Graduating this fall with a Clauve Outstanding Senior Award and a bachelor’s of science in biology with a double minor in chemistry, and health medicine and human values, one might expect frequent and numerous parties and celebrations to be in order. Suazo, at the time of her interview with the Daily Lobo, however, is back with family in her hometown of Abiquiu: a small town in northern New Mexico. It was here that Suazo first realized she wanted to be a doctor — and she knew she wanted to stay in New Mexico to do it.

Avatar.jpg
Culture

December film releases: What winter watches wait in store

With winter break approaching for students and staff at the University of New Mexico, a large number of us might find ourselves with much more time on our hands than we anticipated. Thankfully, new films galore await you under the Christmas tree to keep you busy through those long, winter nights.

ASUNM Senate Meeting.JPG
News

ASUNM senate calls for increased funding to UNMPD

The Associated Students at the University of New Mexico voted to approve a resolution calling for an increase in funding for the UNM Police Department during their last full senate meeting on Wednesday, November 30. The approval comes in the wake of a deadly shooting that took place on UNM campus resulting in the death of two students.

Bones and all.jpg
Culture

REVIEW: Cannibal romance ‘Bones and All’ doesn’t bite off as much as it could chew

While we’ll have to wait a bit longer for the long gestating follow-up to 2017’s “Call Me By Your Name,” fans of director Luca Guadagnino and star Timothée Chalamet can rest easy after the wide release of the pair’s newest collaboration, “Bones and All” on Wednesday, Nov. 23. While the film doesn’t quite reach the heights of “Your Name,” even mid-Guadagnino is better than most directors’ best.

Tar.jpg
Culture

REVIEW: Cate Blanchett is ‘Tár’-iffic in ‘Tár’

It wouldn’t be a true awards season without talking about the latest film starring Cate Blanchett. In the case of 2022, this happens to be writer-director Todd Field’s “Tár.” After receiving a strong critical reaction at the Venice Film Festival earlier this year, “Tár” finally saw release here in Albuquerque on Friday, Oct. 21, allowing us non-Venice attending folk to dig in to the masterpiece that Field has crafted. This is a film best approached with as little information as possible, so I will keep my summary extremely broad: it centers on world-renowned composer Lydia Tár (Blanchett) who slowly becomes embroiled in controversy during final preparations for a career-setting performance. This summary is extraordinarily reductive, but part of what made “Tár” most striking is how shocking it is, due in large part to how little I knew about it going in.

Architechure
Culture

Art-chitecture: the art of the building

Picture yourself in a classroom: four rectangular, cream-colored walls, each about 30 feet from each other. At the front of the classroom is a chalkboard: directly to the right, a small window. In front of the chalkboard is the professor’s desk, adorned with computer and projector controls; rows of desks fill the rest of the space. The bare walls direct your eyes toward the window and your mind toward what’s outside of it. Right now, though, the sunshine beaming down and refracting through the window casts an undiscovered beauty atop the entire scene; suddenly, the cream-colored walls become canvases, their corners and intersections transforming to reveal a hidden sculpture. You pause and ask yourself: is this mundane, everyday classroom art?

More articles »