Marching Band Feature.JPG

The UNM Spirit Marching Band practices at Johnson Field on Wednesday, Aug. 24.

Spirit Marching Band marches into a new season

A week prior to the fall semester, members of the University of New Mexico Spirit Marching Band arrived on campus for band camp. Their practice kicked into high gear as the band began preparing their pregame and halftime shows for their upcoming season.

The UNM Spirit Marching Band is one of UNM’s primary music ensembles, featuring about 110 members this season, according to drum major Damon Hess. The band is open to both UNM and Central New Mexico Community College students and performs at all home football games throughout the season. In October, they will be hosting the 44th Zia Marching Band Fiesta for New Mexico high school bands.

“Band camp was bringing in all the veteran members and all the new members and getting everyone on the same page. We got our pregame show done mostly, and we're starting to work on the halftime show,” Hess said.

Beginning work on the halftime show included planning the themes and preparing the music. This year's themes have the band members excited, including drum line section leader Marissa Carmenaty, who is particularly eager to show off the band's rendition of “Toxic” by Britney Spears.

“We have two (shows): women in pop, and then it is going to be a Latin-based show in the second half of the semester. We have Britney Spears, Meghan Trainor and then whatever band sings ‘Hit Me With Your Best Shot,’” Carmenaty said.

The marching band doesn’t only feature musicians. Other featured artists include the color guard and baton twirler Caroline Newell — the only baton twirler in a collegiate New Mexico marching band, according to Newell.

“I'm used to being the only twirler, so it's not too bad. It's very difficult, but it's kind of fun because it's something New Mexico does not have,” Newell said. “So when I go out to prowl, and I interact with the fans, they love seeing me out there because it's just something different.”

As the only twirler in the band, Newell’s role in the shows tends to change often. However, she does get the unique opportunity to have solos and duets that show off not only her talent, but also that of the musicians in the band.

“Last year, there were two trombone soloists, and I performed with one of them. It was a cute little duet: love story type of deal. So that's how we portrayed it,” Newell said. “It just depends on the song and what the visual coordinator and our band director wants. If they want … me and the soloist, that's what I do, and I tend to feature them a lot and point to them.”

Even as COVID-19 protocols have softened, the band is still following several precautions — members can wear masks if they choose, and if a member tests positive, they are told to quarantine per UNM instructions, according to Hess.

“With COVID, we didn't even have band, so we weren't able to practice or anything. Now we're able to practice all together, so our music sounds just a little nicer. People are able to practice on their own and in rooms instead of in their dorm,” Carmenaty said.

The chance to return to normal in-person practices is not the only change the band has seen this year. Two new directors, Geoffrey Harman and Brett Penshorn, were welcomed into the band with open arms and have changed the overall atmosphere.

“It's definitely a little more welcoming and … It's a little bit more fun. There's a different energy on the field. I'm excited to go to rehearsal now,” Hess said. “I think (the band is) going in a good direction, and I think that the new directors bring a very important aspect that we haven’t had in a long time.”

Students interested in joining the UNM Spirit Marching Band can apply online.

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @esecor2003

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003