Fall Fashion Five and Why.JPG

Natassja Santistevan is a communications and art studio major at the University of New Mexico.

5 and Why: 5 fall fashion tips

While we’re well into more than half of this year’s fall season, it’s never too late to learn the best fall fashion tips to be your most stylish self. Fashion stylist and communications and art studio major at the University of New Mexico Natassja Santistevan gave us their best tips for fall looks.

Textures

Fall is the best time to “flex textures” and play with patterns to create a great outfit, according to Santistevan. Fun patterns and strong colors make for a good combo. Santistevan did warn to combine the right pattern combos or else you could create an outfit that is quite the opposite of what you want.

“Polka dots and stripes are two things you should never collab, (or put) those things together,” Santistevan said.

Tights

As the weather gets colder in Albuquerque, tights can save you from freezing while making you look amazing. Super short skirts may not be the best way to go unless you wear the perfect pair of cute tights or stockings with them, according to Santistevan.

“This is also fun because there's sparkly tights, patterned tights, cloth ties,” Santistevan said.

Sleeves 

Currently, Santistevan is obsessed with sleeves and recommends you should be too. Types of sleeves — such as puffy, long, drapey and more — are a fun way for Santistevan to spice up their outfit.

“That is the pop and drama that you're looking for,” Santistevan said.

They also recommend them for a business look, or combined with a soap dress — or even just some basic pants.

Shoes are everything 

For Santistevan, shoes are one of the most important things to the art of fashion: you can add the cute shoes to something as simple as jeans and a tank top and completely upgrade your entire look.

Boots especially are a necessity during this time of year, specifically high rise boots, according to Santistevan. They’re also looking forward to a leather boot renaissance as well as “witchy”-styled boots and, of course, the ‘80s style with huge platforms. A good pair of black chunky boots are a necessity for your wardrobe, according to Santistevan.

Jackets and Sweaters

Santistevan’s must-have fall pieces are their jackets. A versatile item that can be added to even the simplest of looks is a must. They also recommend always having a sweater that you can easily style and wear everyday, just in case. Sweaters also come with a warning, as it’s “really easy to become cheesy with sweaters,” according to Santistevan.

Overall, for Santistevan, the most important thing is to always be comfortable in your clothes and not let “outside perspectives” stop you from trying any style you desire.

“I think a lot people hold themselves back, dressing a certain way because of judgment or fear.” Santistevan said.”I’d really like to challenge people to just wear something they always wanted to.” 

Annya Loya is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annyaloya