OPINION: Hamilton and Popejoy bring Broadway to students

After two years, two delays and a pandemic, the award-winning musical “Hamilton” is finally performing at Popejoy Hall, the University of New Mexico’s performing arts theater. 

The show will run from May 9 - May 28, and for those coming to town for New Student Orientation, there are still limited tickets available. 

The musical itself was delightful. This was my first time seeing it on stage versus the live recording on “Disney Plus.” I knew I already loved the musical, but I was not expecting as much of a difference as there was between the recorded version and live onstage.

I was able to enjoy set changes, the dancing and just about every part of the show all the more. The difference between watching something onstage and watching something through a screen is a greater appreciation for both small and big moments. 

Not only did the stage production shine more in person, but the casting was incredible. 

The actress who played both Peggy Schuyler and Maria Reynolds — Yana Perrault — was my favorite. In the first half of the show, Perrault as Peggy was on-point with hilarious facial expressions that clearly showed her character's feelings and energy. She continued to shine throughout the show. In the second half, Perrault filled the role of Maria Reynolds; in a striking presentation, she came out with a shaved head that was absolutely gorgeous. 

For some shows offered through Popejoy Presents, there is a discount provided to UNM students. Those enrolled in six or more credit hours can get up to 40% off of select productions from the UNM Bookstore Ticket Office, according to their website. Currently, the discount is available for the upcoming “Aladdin” and “Piano Battle” shows.  

Students can also purchase season ticket packages for up to 50% off. The lineup for the upcoming Broadway show season at Popejoy looks to be a good one — offering many different musicals for students to see and enjoy.

The 2023-2024 Broadway lineup includes: “Disney’s The Lion King” (Oct. 18-Nov. 5), “Hadestown” (Dec. 6-10), “Pretty Woman: The Musical” (Jan. 25-28), “My Fair Lady” (March 21-24) and “Beetlejuice” (May 9-12). 

Popejoy is located on the UNM campus across from Johnson Center and south of the Student Union Building, which makes it convenient for students living on campus to go watch shows. For those who do not reside on campus, free parking is available in the “Special Event Lot (G-Lot)” with buses that offer transportation to and from the show.

Paid parking is also available at a special events rate in the Cornell Parking Structure, located across from Popejoy Hall.

For those in town for NSO who want to pop by Popejoy to see Hamilton, or new students now eyeing the season tickets as a going-away gift, Popejoy has something to offer for everyone and is a great opportunity for students to see Broadway shows at a discounted price. 

Elizabeth Secor is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @esecor2003

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003