LTE: A Chicano's Journey in ASUNM: Navigating DEI at an HSI

The Daily Lobo welcomes letters to the editor from any point of view.

Letter: A Chicano's Journey in ASUNM: Navigating DEI at an HSI

My involvement with the Associated Students of The University of New Mexico (ASUNM) began with an Emerging Lobo Leaders application, which was rejected. As a first-generation college student from rural New Mexico, this revealed the need for better cultural understanding within ASUNM.

My first year at La Universidad de Nuevo México (UNM) marked a profound cultural awakening through the Chicana and Chicano Studies Department. Chicanismo means bridging past, present and future while embracing our heritage and navigating Anglo-centric spaces.

Appointed by the previous Vice President and Pro-Tempore, I stressed the importance of New Student Orientation in my leadership journey. After my initial ASUNM senator term, I began questioning leadership and the role of culture within our institution, asking “whose culture has capital?”

The lack of culturally relevant knowledge in executive positions has led to a departure of scholars of color from senator roles. With these questions unanswered within ASUNM's leadership structure, I strived to aid my community.

The recent appointment of the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was disappointing, as the chosen person has since lacked to show that they understand critical concepts within Ethnic Studies for the role – limiting the potential for culturally relevant programs. As the only ethnic scholar who approached this position, my academic and public service career was ignored.

ASUNM urgently needs a more comprehensive evaluation process for such positions, prioritizing qualifications and cultural sensitivity, particularly within Ethnic Studies.

Currently, I serve as a Program Assistant at El Centro de la Raza, creating culturally relevant programs to support Latinx student retention in higher education – a role that has allowed me to support my community and further interact with Chicanx Studies.  

In summary, my journey as a Chicano scholar continues, marked by self-discovery, advocacy and a commitment to addressing diversity, equity and inclusion within ASUNM and the University of New Mexico.

We need change for the future Chicanx in higher education, and the change starts within.

¡Que Viva La Raza! 

Julián G. Ángel is a current ASUNM senator and an undergraduate student in the Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies.