Car Sharing.jpg

Cars charge in the Walmart parking lot on Carlisle Blvd. NE on Sunday, March 3.

Albuquerque brings the energy to affordable transportation

As of Feb. 22, Albuquerque residents will now be able to rent affordable electric vehicles (EV) through the GoForth Affordable Mobility Platform car-sharing program.

The average price of a new EV in 2024 is around $50,798, according to Find My Electric. The program allows people to rent electric vehicles for $5 per hour or $50 per day plus tax, according to Stefenie Griggs, the program manager for Forth’s locations in the Southwest.

“We fully recognize that new EVs aren't totally accessible for all folks, and especially if you're talking about folks that are low income. The program is meant to bridge that gap in access to EVs to make sure everyone can have access to clean and sustainable transportation,” Griggs said.

On Feb. 22, the program began at the PAH! Hiland Plaza apartments on Central Ave., according to a City of Albuquerque news release. While the EV will be situated by the apartments, anyone may rent the vehicles. The apartments are suited for deaf residents, which contributed to the decision for the program to be implemented there, Griggs said.

“There were a number of factors that went into this decision-making process. Part of the draw to accessibility was focusing on low income communities,” Griggs said. “They go even a step further in the sense that their housing site is specifically designed for folks of deaf, deaf-blind and hard-of-hearing communities. So (the program is) just as an additional layer for equity and accessibility to EV technology that for many communities is not accessible.”

The City of Albuquerque, Forth, Public Service Company of New Mexico and Sol Housing collaborated in launching the project. The project is a part of Mayor Keller’s goal to make Albuquerque more sustainable, according to the news release. Albuquerque marks Forth’s first car-sharing program within the Southwest, according to Forth’s website.

“Electric vehicle car-sharing programs like AMP fill this gap by providing affordable, convenient and environmentally friendly transportation solutions tailored to the specific needs of frontline communities,” the news release states.

An additional EV car-sharing location will be implemented in the future in Sante Fe, according to the program’s website. Currently, GoForth offers two electric vehicles with two accompanying chargers in Albuquerque, Griggs said. It is unclear if more vehicles will be added in Albuquerque.

To rent the vehicles, users must download the MDO Carshare app, available on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Users must be at least 21 and have a clean driving record, according to Griggs.

“I would say we've seen folks that travel to urban centers to go to a doctor's appointment … We've seen folks use a vehicle just to run errands, take their kids to school, take their dogs to a vet,” Griggs said. "We've definitely seen this program make an impact on folks."

Nate Bernard is a beat reporter with the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo