Stephan Webb, a local artist, works on his artwork at 505 Creative Festival at Civic Plaza on Saturday evening. Civic Plaza organized an event that promotes local businesses, organizations and gave an alternative for families and friends to spend their weekend together.

Creativity festival showcases local art

Creative 505 was a collaborative, family-friendly event among local organizations and businesses to showcase Albuquerque’s film, theater, art, music, tech and other communities.

The event provided a variety of entertainment options, including live music and other performances, interactive informational booths, vendors, food trucks, face painting and chalk art. There were also more formal options, such as business demonstrations and installations.

Damian Lopez-Gaston, director of event services at Albuquerque Convention Center, helped coordinate Creative 505 as one of the many events intended to attract people to Civic Plaza and make it a more central space in Albuquerque.

Lopez-Gaston said the event was originally conceptualized as a music festival showcasing local bands, but eventually turned into an event for various types of performances.

“We extended that to the vendors and groups in Albuquerque that work with startups (and) economic development because they’re working with businesses that are created in their own way,” Lopez-Gaston said. “The idea is to think of all of these people as part of Albuquerque’s creative class, so let’s bring them together and have a party on Civic Plaza.”

Among the presentations were children’s performances, live bands and solo artists, as well as dancers.

Activities included the performances, face painting and chalk art for the children, informational booths offering advice and other services, and vendors for people to purchase locally produced food, jewelry, clothing and other products. A dog drinking station with bowls full of water was also provided for those who brought their pets along.

Participating organizations and businesses included Tricklock Theater Company, Music Go Round, Children’s Choice, ABQid and Creative Mornings.

Sara Roman was one of the local vendors working at Creative 505. She said the festival was an excellent setting for the local vendors to interact with and join those who came to celebrate Albuquerque’s artistic culture.

“It’s been really warm and welcoming,” Roman said. “It’s really nice that they set us (vendors) up in a nice line so that we can see the stage and enjoy what’s going on.”

Creative 505 had a large turnout, and the reactions toward the event were enthusiastic and positive. Revah Loring, a New Mexico resident for the last 13 years, said she decided to attend Creative 505 after seeing it listed on the Alibi calendar.

She said anyone looking for events that are fun and free should keep their eye on what’s going on at Civic Plaza for events like this one.

Lopez-Gaston said that if Creative 505 is successful, Civic Plaza Presents hopes to make it an annual or semiannual event.

Skylar Griego is the assistant culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at cultureassistant@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.