Redshirt senior offensive lineman Garrett Adcock practices drills Wednesday morning at University Stadium.

Football: Adcock excels in the classroom and on the field

“Physically, you look at him and he’s not the most imposing figure. But he’s a self-made guy, academically and athletically; he just works his tail off.”

Offensive line coach Jason Lenzmeier had that to say about his 6-foot-2-inch 290 pound senior tackle, Garrett Adcock. Football players have to give a lot on the field both mentally and physically, but there is much more than meets the eye with this student athlete.

Lenzmeier said he started recruiting Adcock when he was coaching at New Mexico State. When he came to UNM, he continued to pursue Adcock, bringing the Texas native to Albuquerque.

Now the coach will see one of the members of his first recruiting class at UNM complete his college career. The lineman is in his final year of eligibility and he has made just as many plays in the classroom as he has on the field.

Head coach Bob Davie said fifth year players like Adcock are what college football is all about. He said those players have been a part of the fabric since day one and displayed remarkable commitment on their journey.

Adcock said he graduated with a degree in biology in less than three years and is closing in on graduating from law school as well. Coach Lenzmeier said the offensive tackle is also a Rhodes Scholar finalist.

“He’s way smarter than me...probably everybody combined in this building,” he said. “He’s a great kid.”

Adcock said being in law school and playing football is definitely not easy, adding that it is probably harder to make plays in the classroom than it is on the field. He said he makes a conscious effort to balance his priorities.

“You just take it one day at a time and knock out what you have to get done that day,” he said. “The next day you just get up and do the same thing.”

Adcock seemed passionate when talking about the importance of government structure and civil and constitutional rights. He said, despite the stereotypes, a career in law is truly a noble calling.

“It’s almost energizing to go to class because I really get that feeling that there is still some hope and we can be a part of it,” he said.

The offensive lineman said football has really helped him in the classroom as well. In addition to discipline and hard work, expending so much energy on the field doesn’t allow him to waste any energy later.

Adcock said his advice to incoming students would be to be prepared to work hard. He said the journey will not be easy, but it is worth it. He said he’s been blessed with a great group of classmates who all help each other and he considers friends.

The senior was a starter as a freshman and has moved all around the offensive line. He started out at center, but has also been moved between guard and tackle. That versatility is something that could help develop some of his teammates this season.

The defense is really stepping up and playing well right now, Adcock said, but the offense is also putting in good work. The team continues to gel and things should look good in the fall.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.