Crime Briefs for April 7, 2017

Harassment at KUNM

On the morning of March 24, a UNMPD officer was dispatched to KUNM after a staff member called to report a harassment complaint, according to a police report. The caller told police that a contracted employee was recently terminated after the UNM Office of Equal Opportunity investigated an alleged sexual harassment against him.

After his termination, the former employee began sending emails, stating he was wrongfully terminated. The officer was given copies of several emails, but did not see a specific threat to harm anyone. However, in his emails, the former employee mentioned that after being fired, he now suffers from severe depression.

According to the report, the officer spoke with one of the email recipients, a female, who said the former employee has made unwanted advances on her since Oct. 2016. During that time, the the former employee was told that his actions must stop. However, his actions continued and led to an investigation and his termination, she said.

The officer attempted to speak with the former employee, but the number was invalid. The officer also sent an email to the address used on March 24, asking the former employee to call to discuss the case. The police report did not provide any further information about that sexual harassment case, as the UNMPD officer does not have access to the investigation.

Felony arrest warrant near UNMH

On the afternoon of March 30, an officer on patrol noticed an individual sitting at athe bus stop near UNMH, according to a police report. The individual is a suspect in multiple campus thefts and has outstanding felony warrants for his arrest. The suspect was taken into custody without incident and transported to UNMPD, where he told an officer he had ingested roughly four grams of methamphetamine prior to being taken into custody.

AFD rescue was called and suggested the suspect be properly treated at the hospital if this were true. UNMPD officers transported the suspect back to UNMH. After treatment, the suspect was treated, released and booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center without further incident.

While patting the suspect down for possible weapons, an officer found a New Mexico driver’s license and Visa debit card that belonged to another individual, who was the victim of theft just one day prior to the suspect’s arrest—in this case, the suspect was identified as the offender.

Information Report on UNMH ER

On the morning of April 2, UNMPD officers were sent to the UNMH ER, due to a patient causing a disturbance, according to a report. Upon arrival, hospital staff said a patient was tossing urine in her room and swearing at hospital staff. She brandished a plastic knife and cursed at one staff member in particular when he entered the room.

Hospital staff discharged the woman, but she refused to leave the room. Officers entered her room, telling her to gather her belongings, get dressed and leave UNMH. She cursed at officers, flailing her arms.

She was handcuffed to prevent her from harming others. Officers escorted her out of the hospital, whereupon she requested to be transported to the bus station. Two officers transported her to the bus station and released her.

The hospital staff member did not wish to press charges.

-Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez