UNM students spend time outside the dorms on March 25, 2018.

Freshmen required to live on campus starting Fall 2018

Editor's Note: The original version of this article read that Tacker said UNM plans to extend the requirement to students living in the metro area. This has been corrected to read, "The University does not plan to extend the requirement to students living in the metro area." The Daily Lobo apologizes for any confusion.

Beginning in the Fall 2018 semester, incoming freshman living more than 30 miles from campus will be required to live on campus, with some exceptions.

Students are exempt if they:

• Live with a parent, guardian or family member less than 30 miles from campus.
  • Are at least 20 years old at the beginning of their freshman year.
  • Are domestically partnered, married or have children.
  • Have a medical disability.
  • A cultural sensitivity or associated concern.
  • Have an undue hardship interfering ability to attend.

This requirement was approved by the Board of Regents in Fall 2016 after the Office of Enrollment shared a report in May of 2015 that found students living on campus have better grades and higher graduation rates.

The Board of Regents decided not to require this until the Fall 2018 semester to “prepare for…the implementation of it,” said Theresa Acker, the supervisor for Residence Life and Student Housing.

“I think for incoming freshman this will be a great opportunity for them to really do better in school — the information from the report shows that,” she said.

Tacker said by providing different resources, “conveniences are there” that attribute to a student’s success.

“When you’re close to class, it’s hard not to go to class, but when you live off campus, the parking and the commute time all adds up, so it’s very easy to say, ‘No, I’m not going to class today,’” she said.

The average cost of student housing is $559 per month, with amenities like Wi-Fi and laundry facilities.

The average cost of living off campus in the Albuquerque metro area is $650, but Tacker said “financial hardship” is an exemption from the new requirement.

The University does not plan to extend the requirement to students living in the metro area, but roughly one-third of residents are from the Albuquerque metro area, she said.

Tacker said she does not expect thousands of students will be affected by this requirement, but estimates that the University will receive up to 400 additional students between on-campus and Casas Del Rio housing.

Sarah Durand, a sophomore from Portales, New Mexico, is double majoring in English and international studies. She has lived on and off campus and said she prefers to live on campus.

“I like being so close to classes…and not having to commute, and I like being close to friends and the atmosphere of it,” Durand said.

She said she has advice for students nervous about living on campus.

“It seems really scary, but it really isn’t, and living in a dorm isn’t as rough as you think it’s going to be, and also you’re to make a lot of friends. It’s going to be okay,” she said.

Anthony Jackson is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TonyAnjackson.