Lambert's coach should have benched her at first infraction

I witnessed Elizabeth Lambert’s thuggery in the women’s soccer match between UNM and BYU in the Mountain West Conference Tournament, and I am incensed. I have never witnessed anything this blatant and dangerous occurring multiple times throughout a game in women’s soccer. I would not be surprised if assault charges were filed in this matter. This incident is that grievous.

Many people have commented on the ineptness of game officials and have attacked the character of Elizabeth Lambert. To be sure, there is serious blame to be laid at both of those doorsteps. But I think there is a bigger issue here.

Head coach Kit Vela and the New Mexico side allowing Elizabeth Lambert’s brutish behavior to continue is inexcusable. There can be no doubt that the New Mexico side could see what was happening and knew that they had a player who was out of control. Coach Vela should have benched her immediately — period. Vela made a grave error in judgment and sportsmanship by letting Lambert continue to play.

As for punishment, unfortunately for Elizabeth Lambert, I would expect nothing less than her having to be kicked off the team and be banned from playing collegiate athletics ever again.

But the saddest part about this is, if the New Mexico coaching staff would have taken control of the situation right away and benched Lambert after her first serious infraction (whether game officials saw it or not is, of course, completely irrelevant), this whole thing would have never risen to this level of outrage, and Ms. Lambert’s status in collegiate athletics would probably not be in question.
It’s yet another example of poor judgment by coaches at the University of New Mexico. One also has to wonder what is going on with the athletics administration and their obvious ineptness in running clean, championship-caliber sports programs. What a sad time this is for UNM sports.

Ryland Flynn
Daily Lobo reader