UNMPD: Former teammate suspected in burglary

Julian Blair, a former defensive back on the UNM football team was involved in the Aug. 25 robbery of teammate Brandon Lewis, according to UNMPD officials.

Detective Chris Crespin, the lead investigator in the case, confirmed that Blair is a suspect in the robbery of $1,800 worth of electronics from Lewis’ room. Blair was not named in the Aug. 25 police report, but was dismissed from the team during preseason for an unspecified violation of team rules, an Athletics spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

Crespin said UNMPD has not ruled out defensive back Ravonne Carter as an additional suspect because “the investigation is still under review.” According to an Aug. 25 police report, Carter told a teammate that he intended to steal from Lewis’ room the same night.

Lewis told police someone broke into his SRC apartment with a silver knife and stole a laptop and an Xbox 360. The items were found stashed in separate outdoor locations, Crespin said. He said the laptop was found underneath Lewis’ car and the Xbox was found in a nearby bush.
Following procedure, Crespin said he will refer the case to the Bernalillo County District Attorney’s office when he wraps up the investigation. UNMPD is still waiting on results from a fingerprint test on the silver knife, but Crespin said he could not give a date about when the results of the test will arrive.