Environmental Internships
Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 30°F
7 day forecast
Sunday, December 21, 2014

Injury puts player on hold

mcdonald
By Robert Maes / New Mexico Daily Lobo

Phillip McDonald walks off the court after suffering an elbow injury on Saturday at The Pit during the UNM men’s basketball teams 107-62 victory over Manchester College. McDonald will miss the first two regular season games for the Lobos at home against Detroit and Arizona State.

The UNM men’s basketball team won’t have a big contributor for the first two games of the regular season.

Guard Phillip McDonald, who started every game last season, suffered a partially torn ligament in his elbow during the Lobos’ 107-62 exhibition win over Manchester College.

Head coach Steve Alford said McDonald will be evaluated after the Lobos’ first two games.

“Obviously, Phillip’s injury— there is never a good time,” Alford said. “And the start of the season, it’s always difficult, but at least we’re not in the brunt of it, and at least we’re not in the conference.”

In UNM’s two exhibition games McDonald was 3-of-19 from the field and hit only one 3-pointer in three attempts. The good news, Alford said, is that the doctors said the injury isn’t as bad as they had originally thought.

If McDonald is unable to return, Alford could assign him a medical redshirt according to NCAA regulations.

“It looks like it’s a partial tear,” Alford said. “So he is in a cast, and it’s kind of a soft cast and a sling that is removable, so he can do some rehab and we’ll test it again. The doctors will look at it again next Wednesday.”