All the news that’s fit to print

The summer is over.

It had to happen sometime. And I while I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you do have to come back to class, but in the spirit of keeping you informed, I wanted to take a little time to remind you of the issues UNM faces this year.

Where shall we begin?

Last year, American Campus Communities debuted at UNM with its construction of Lobo Village and destruction of the Santa Ana dorms. Part of the community hailed its introduction because of the sleek, refined dorms ACC offers and its wet campus policy.

Others decried Lobo Village because of the constricting nature of ACC’s contracts and the fact that it plans to destroy most of the old dorms.

Whatever side you’re on, expect more ACC coverage — whether it be good, bad or ugly. Stay focused on Lobo Village. Combining young students and alcohol could either be a Molotov cocktail for disaster, or the tonic students need to succeed.

Remember F. Chris Garcia, right? The 70-year-old former UNM president, professor emeritus and eyebrow model who allegedly served as a talent scout for the massive online prostitution ring Southwest Companions?

Chances are the scandal is more far-reaching than just Garcia.

The prostitutes on Southwest Companions charged up to $10,000, and it will be interesting to see who else, if anybody, is implicated as details continue to emerge.

The Albuquerque Police Department is still untangling IP addresses from dozens of clients. It seems only a matter of time before the police release more names, and when they do, you can bet that the Daily Lobo will be there to provide in-depth coverage.

Of course, no school year is complete without fights about money.

Topics in the past, and most assuredly the future, include faculty wages, student fees, rising tuition, building costs, TA salaries, academic department cutbacks, Athletics spending and, of course, administration costs. Let it be sufficient that the Daily Lobo will cover every fiscal battle — with flak jackets, if necessary.

Those are the main newsmakers, but we won’t forget about ASUNM and GPSA politics, the legislature, Lottery Success scholarship, the search for a new president, campus politics and, you know, everything else newsworthy.

If news isn’t your thing, be sure to check out the culture and sports sections, and for the apathetic among you, there’s daily Sudoku and crossword puzzles, with horoscopes coming out the first day of every week.

I leave with you this: It’s not all about us here at Daily Lobo headquarters. We want to know what you want to know. Write us letters. Tell us what you think is important, and we’ll go out of our way to get the stories that matter to you.

Sincerely,

Chris Quintana
Editor-in-Chief