Lobos get new football coach

UNM’s new football coach has arrived.

Vice president of Athletics Paul Krebs announced yesterday that Bob Davie will take over the coaching responsibilities from George Barlow, the interim head coach, at the end of the season, becoming UNM’s 31st head football coach.

This will be Davies’ second head coaching job, after coaching Notre Dame from 1997-2001, where he compiled a 35-25 record in his five years. He has an 0-3 record in bowl games.

Junior quarterback B.R. Holbrook said having a coach with his pedigree is only going to make the program better.

“That’s a big-time win for us,” he said. “Obviously he has been a lot of good places and a lot of places that have won, so hopefully he can carry it on next year at UNM.”

Davie has compiled 20 years of assistant coaching experience. He has had assistant positions at Pittsburgh, Arizona, Tulane, Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

In 1991, while the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, the defense was ranked No. 1 in the nation.

Holbrook said the appointment will make everything run more smoothly for the team.

“At this point it brings some stability to the season,” he said. “Just knowing that we have a head coach next year eases that tension a little bit, but for the most part it is a little exciting.”

Freshman wide receiver Deon Long said the team is eager to see what the new coach is like.

“We just know we have to get it together,” he said. “It’s a new coach, new coaching style and we have to get used to him and feel our way through and see what they like and don’t like.”

Long, in his first year as a Lobo, has already been through one coaching change.

“I’m pretty excited to see what (Davie) is like,” Long said. “I am just here for the ride.”

Davie played as a tight end for Youngstown State from 1973-75, and is currently a football analyst for the prime time ESPN football game on Saturday nights.

Barlow said even though the team is excited about the appointment of a head coach next season, it’s still his job to make sure players are prepared for the rest of the season.

“I’m hoping we can stay focused like we’ve been the past two or three weeks,” he said. “I’m hoping it’s not going to be a distraction, but you don’t know. When you are dealing with young kids, you never know.”