Softball goes 1-2 in San Diego

The UNM softball team was 1-2 in this weekend's Campbell/Cartier Softball Invitational in San Diego, Calif.

The Lobos took a 5-1win over 20th-ranked Long Beach State University Friday, then dropped a 1-0 squeaker to 15th-ranked Stanford University and lost 2-0 to Iowa State University Saturday, to move their record to 4-5 on the year. UNM played a late game Sunday night and results were not available at press time.

Against Stanford, UNM pitcher Kathy Moore allowed only three hits, but the key one was left fielder Cassi Brangham's RBI single to center field in the top of the seventh inning to score third baseman Jenni Shideler. Then Stanford pitcher Dana Sorensen retired UNM's Moore, Michelle Carter and Brooke Chaffee in the bottom of the inning to give Stanford its slim win.

The Lobos logged only two hits in the game, one by shortstop Mariana Fennelli and the other by Chaffee, and committed two errors.

Sorensen struck out 16 Lobos in a winning cause.

In UNM's loss to Iowa State, the Hawkeyes got two runs in the second inning, providing for all the scoring in the game. Chaffee led the Lobos with two hits, while Krissy Keene added a double, to comprise three of UNM's five hits on the game.

UNM pitcher Amy Dumas allowed five hits and struck out two, while Iowa State's Erica Martinez struck out eight and walked three.

Long Beach State took a 1-0 lead into the seventh inning, but the Lobos scored five unanswered runs to win the game.

Tiffani Chambers and Rachel Wennekamp both doubled to begin the inning, which scored Sabrina Sandberg, who was pinch-running for Chambers. Keene followed with a double to score Wennekamp, Fennelli singled to score Keene and Kelly Glass got on base with a bunt. With the bases loaded, Long Beach State's Traci Hensel walked Moore to score Fennelli and Michelle Carter hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score Glass.

UNM's Hayley Punter struck out four and walked two.