Sports in Brief

Women’s Tennis

Fresh off a four-game road swing, the UNM women’s tennis team returns home for matches against Montana State University today at 5 p.m. and Colorado University Saturday at 5 p.m. Both matches will be played at the UNM Tennis Club.

The Lobos have dropped three straight matches, including a 5-2 loss to 26th-ranked University of Tulsa, a 6-1 trouncing at the hands of 10th-ranked University of Arizona and a 7-0 shutout loss to 24th-ranked Arizona State University in Tempe, Ariz. The Lobos are now 3-4 on the year, and have a 2-1 home record.

Women’s Golf

The UNM women’s golf team finished 12th out of 16 teams at the 2001 Arizona Wildcat Invitational, held Feb. 19-21 in Tucson, Ariz.

Host team the University of Arizona won the event with a three-round score of 875, while UNM’s score of 919 (313-303-303) was just five strokes behind the University of Tulsa and Arizona State University, which tied for ninth place.

The Lobos’ top individual performer was senior Ryley Webb, who finished tied for 14th with a score of 222 (76-74-72). It was her fourth top-15 finish of the season.

Freshman Kristi Larsen finished in 31st place with a 229, junior Claudia Ferrini finished tied for 52nd with a score of 233, and seniors Elisa Kase and Britney Holt finished tied for 59th and 81st, respectively.

UNM is off for two weeks until March 12-13 when it competes in the Pioneer Electronics/UCLA Bruin Classic in Temecula, Calif.

Men’s Tennis

The UNM men’s tennis team hits the road this week, facing the University of Pennsylvania Saturday at noon and the University of Kansas Sunday at 10 a.m.

The team last saw action on Feb. 9 and 10, beating Tennessee Tech University 7-0 and Texas Tech University 5-2.

The Lobos are 4-1 on the year, with their only loss being to Boise State University on Jan. 26.

After this weekend’s play, UNM will be idle for two weeks before heading to Corpus Christi, Texas, for the HEB Collegiate Invite, March 9-11.

The men return home March 15 for a match against the University of Iowa at the UNM Tennis Club.

Baseball

UNM outfielder Donny Sevieri was named Mountain West Conference Player of the Week Tuesday.

Sevieri, a junior, hit .478 (11-of-23) with two home runs, five RBIs, seven runs scored and two doubles in five games last week against Southern Utah University, Texas Tech University, the University of Nebraska, the University of Missouri and Kansas State University.

Against Texas Tech Feb. 13, Sevieri went three-for-five at the plate, hitting his first home run of the season, and had two RBIs.

The Lobos are 4-9 on the year and will be at Texas Tech for three weekend games beginning today. The Lobos have not posted a road win this season and are 4-2 at home.