UNM students to back lottery scholarship bills

Undergraduate students from throughout New Mexico will head to Santa Fe Monday to lobby legislators for support on key student issues, including funding of the state’s Lottery to Success Scholarship.

Sen. Michael Sanchez, D-Valencia County, and Rep. Daniel Silva, D-Bernalillo County, will speak about the bills they are sponsoring in support of full funding for the Lottery Scholarship during Student Day at the Legislature.

The Associated Students of New Mexico, a student organization that represents undergraduate student government organizations from the state’s various public colleges and universities, is sponsoring the event, which will run from 9 a.m. to noon.

“The Lottery Scholarship has given students throughout New Mexico a tremendous opportunity for the past few years,” said Michael Greer, the undergraduate student government’s lobby director. “As students, we want to continue to see this scholarship funded so that younger students will have the same opportunity as we have. We believe this scholarship should continue to have the same merit-based standards as are presently required of students.”

Demand for the scholarships and rising tuition is outstripping the financing. The program is projected to have a $9.1 million shortfall by 2003 without additional money, restricting student eligibility or reducing the amount of the scholarships. The shortfall could grow to $20.6 million in 2004.

According to the Commission on Higher Education, about 12,000 students will be awarded scholarships this school year — up from 10,000 students in the 1999-2000 school year — at a cost of $19.4 million.

The lottery is expected to generate nearly $28 million this year.

Students from the New Mexico colleges and universities are scheduled to arrive at the Roundhouse at 9 a.m. and will take a tour of the House and Senate chambers beginning at 9:15 a.m.

Anita Atencio, president of the Associated Students of New Mexico, will open a 10 a.m. press conference and introduce Sanchez, who will speak about Senate Bill 59 and Silva, who will speak about House Bill 22. Both measures, if passed, would allocate 100 percent of lottery revenues to the Lottery Scholarship.

Following the press conference, students will have a choice of observing proceedings in either the Senate or House chamber or of visiting legislators.

ASUNM have chartered a bus for students that seats 42 people. For more information, contact Greer at 277-5186.