UNM football player arrested on assault charges

UNM freshman football player Deario Richardson was arrested Wednesday night on charges related to an alleged domestic dispute.

Richardson was taken into custody by Albuquerque police at his southeast Albuquerque home after he allegedly assaulted his female roommate.

Richardson faces charges of battery and false imprisonment. Police said he was to be booked into the Bernalillo County Detention Center Wednesday evening.

UNM Athletic Department officials could not be reached comment because Richardson was arrested late Wednesday.

Richardson graduated in 1999 from Flint Northern High School in Michigan. He was a redshirt freshman for the Lobos last year, playing mostly on special teams, playing in 11 games and registering 11 tackles.

This is the fourth incident in the past year involving UNM athletes. In February of 2000, UNM football players Holmon Wiggins and Charles Moss were accused of raping a woman at Moss’ University Student Residence Center apartment. No charges were filed against the two athletes, but they plead guilty to evidence tampering in August and were sentenced to three-year’s probation.

In September, UNM basketball player Marlon Parmer was accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old student at his Aztec Village Apartments. No charges have been filed, but the Bernalillo County District Attorney’s office is still investigating the case. He remains on the basketball team after being suspended from the Lobos’ first practice of the season.

UNM basketball player Malcolm Battles was charged with aggravated battery on a household member, false imprisonment and child abuse in December after an incident with his girlfriend at a Southeast Heights apartment complex. UNM coach Fran Fraschilla dismissed Battles from the team and his athletic scholarship was revoked following the incident.

The case Battles against are pending in U.S. District Court, and he has since withdrawn from UNM.