Faculty Senate laces up for a marathon meeting

Degree, program changes on tap for senators

Staff report

The UNM Faculty Senate has assembled a marathon agenda and will tackle a variety of issues during its monthly meeting today at 3:30 p.m. in the Kiva Lecture Hall.

Following the traditional president’s and provost’s reports, the Senate will decide on 53 degree and program changes that have been recommended by the Curricula Committee. The changes range from revision of majors and minors to the addition of new certificate and minor degree programs.

The Senate will review reports on UNM’s Strategic Planning Process presented by a variety of Faculty Senate committees.

The group also will discuss the Athletic Council’s annual report and consider amending the Athletic Council’s charge. The most significant proposed change moves up the statement that the council shall, “maintain a position in favor of high standards of institutional and personal integrity and ethical conduct for intercollegiate athletics.” The Senate’s agenda states that the section was moved up to “insert a statement about integrity and ethical conduct earlier in the charge to reflect its level of importance.”

Other proposed changes would clean up language in the charge and would send copies of the council’s report to both the University president and the Faculty Senate for review.

The final action item on the Senate’s agenda is discussion of men’s gymnastics, wrestling and swim teams that were terminated by the Athletic Department three years ago. Sen. Peter Dorato, a professor in the Computer and Electrical Engineering Department, is scheduled to introduce a motion to reinstate the sports.

Dorato’s resolution states that because the three sports served a high percentage of in-state students with good grades, student organizations have endorsed reinstating the sports and the Albuquerque community has said it is willing to fund the sports, they should be revived. The motion also recommends that when UNM considers eliminating sports in the future, it should consider both Olympic and non-Olympic sports.

For more information or a copy of the agenda, call the University Secretary at 277-4664 or visit the Faculty Senate’s Web site, www.unm.edu/~facsen.