Vietnam veterans to speak today about war experience

The History Undergraduate Association is hoping to give students a broader view of the Vietnam War era during a panel discussion Thursday.

Current and former UNM faculty and Vietnam veterans will share their opinions and experiences during and after the war in History Commons Room in Mesa Vista Hall at 3:30 p.m. The lineup of five veterans and UNM faculty features Robert Himmerich y Valencia, a former UNM history professor and a retired Marine Corps veteran.

Himmerich y Valencia said he was invited to speak on the panel because of his veteran status and a class on the Vietnam era he taught three years ago.

He said he was in Vietnam in 1954, before the war began, then again in 1966 in Phu Bi, 1968 in Chu Lai and went back in 1970-71.

Himmerich y Valencia said he wants to present a different side of the Vietnam War than has been traditionally portrayed by the media and government.

"There's our side and their side - their side being the way the news projected it and the way it was taught," he said.

Himmerich y Valencia said the war is important to know about and if students want to hear something new, they can come to the presentation.

"If you're interested in at least our side of the discussion then that's fine," he said. "If you're happy with what's in the books, that's fine, too."

Rebecca Perez, president of the History Undergraduate Association, said the panel is one of the monthly events the group organizes. She said the group decided to do an event on the Vietnam War to help publicize a Vietnam War history class taught by panel members David Farber and Paul Hutton, both UNM history professors.

"A lot of students don't really know there is a class," she said. "A lot of people our age don't know what went on during Vietnam."