‘The Cru’ recognizes shame, but focuses on Jesus Christ

I would like to respond to Keith Wiley’s letter to the editor in the April 6 Daily Lobo. First, I thank Wiley for being interested, asking questions and sharing his opinion.

I am a student involved with Campus Crusade for Christ — a.k.a. “The Cru.” I like the heart of the organization and the people in it. I felt compelled to respond to some things Wiley said.

He pointed out that the purpose of the “What Bugs You About Religion?” campaign is “a method to draw your attention,” and I agree. We are trying to create a dialogue on campus about issues we feel are important.

We are “bugged” by the evil things that have been done in the name of Christianity. We aren’t trying to make everyone forget about these things so that no one will be bugged anymore. Instead, we are trying to draw attention to what we believe is the central message of Jesus’ teaching, that Christianity is not about a religion, but a relationship with Jesus Christ. We are motivated by a love for our fellow students and a desire to listen to them and share with them what has become the most important relationship in our lives.

I would like to address Wiley’s comments about the name: “The Cru.” It is a nickname and not a way of disguising who we are or the purpose of our organization. I find the name non-threatening. It’s shorter than saying, “Campus Crusade for Christ.”

We don’t hide, nor would we want to, that we are part of Campus Crusade for Christ. We announce it every week at the beginning of our Thursday night meeting. We are also chartered with the University as a student organization under the name Campus Crusade for Christ.

I was not sure what was meant when Wiley asked if the group “is so utterly ashamed of its past behavior?” If Wiley, or anyone, has specific incidents in mind and would like to share his or her concerns with us, we would be happy to discuss this issue in more detail.

For now, the only things I am ashamed of are the things that were and are done in the name of religion that have served to turn people off from the real issue, Jesus Christ. I think this issue needs to be talked about, and that is the desire of our campaign. Thanks again to Wiley for sharing his opinion with the campus and with us.

Terrance Cook

English student