Cell phones make us slaves to technology

I was glad to see Thursday's column about cell phones in the Daily Lobo, and I'd like to add my two cents.

I can understand the need to have a cell phone if you're an on-call doctor, a single woman who travels alone or somebody else who actually needs to be contacted 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but why does everybody on the planet need one?

Is there some global reporting center these people are calling to inform their overseers of their every move? Who needs to know if you are on your way to class, anyway? And how many times have you been in class when someone's cell phone goes off and they answer it? Why can't the call wait until class is over? Back in the day, and not too long ago, we'd say, "I'll call you when I get home!"

Wow. What a novel idea!

We are all just too damned important. In our fast-paced, active lives, we are just too busy not to be on the phone every second with somebody! But here's my question: How crucial is it to have totally mundane, profoundly unimportant conversations while standing in line at the grocery, the bank or a fast food window? Some people can't even hang up the phone in a restroom stall, for God's sake!

It also seems impossible to drive a vehicle while talking on a cell phone, so why do people try to do it? This is absurd. I've been to business establishments where the person behind the counter couldn't stop talking long enough to even acknowledge my presence, let alone assist me.

People I see everywhere I go have a freaking cell phone crammed in their ear. I've seen homeless people standing on the corner asking for money while speaking on a cell phone! Am I crazy? Or is it just me?

I hate talking on the telephone at any time, even at home. I just can't imagine why anyone - least of all students, who clearly have better things to do with their time - would want to be reached at all hours of the day and night virtually anywhere at the touch of a button.

Folks, this is slavery masquerading as freedom. An entire nation willingly and voluntarily enslaved by technology, and nobody even notices or cares!

I won't even mention the numerous health studies suggesting that excessive cell phones usage leads to brain tumors, cancer, etc ... Not that it would matter to most college kids, anyway, apparently. They obviously just really, really need to talk to their friends all the time - forget the consequences!

In closing I'd just like to mention something called "freedom of choice." You may have heard of it. Please, for God's sake, use it! Do you really need Cricket that much?

Jason Darensburg

Administrative assistant

New Mexico Tumor Registry

Cancer Research Facility