If only God decides one’s fate, the Nazis were right

Thank you once again, Jeremy Reynalds, for elucidating the mysterious ways of the Lord to the rest of us who wander in darkness without the aid of God’s counsel.

“We don’t have the right to decide about matters of life and death. God does,” Reynalds wrote.

“Nicely put,” as you say.

Of course, as you know, the Nazis were fulfilling God’s will when they donated 6 million Jews and other people unworthy of life to God as a sacrificial offering of atonement. Indeed, many Christians the world over applauded this long overdue expiation of Jewish cosmic guilt.

It’s all predicted in the Bible. When Pontius Pilate washed his hands, absolving himself of Christ’s death, the Jews called for his execution, thus taking upon themselves the sin of Christ’s death for which they must pay forever. That makes the Nazis instruments of divine will when they helped the Christ killers fulfill their destiny by sending them to the ovens.

Indeed, the scent of all that burning flesh from the Holocaust (burnt offering) must have been pleasing in the sight of the Lord. I have asked God why he preserves such an ominous silence about this little matter, but he has so far not revealed to me the reasoning behind this apparent contradiction to his infinite compassion and mercy.

But you are different, Jeremy. God talks to you. Perhaps he will tell you why.

James Burbank

Graduate student